1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaky Truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdplowing, Oct 16, 2008.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Get in my truck today and notice a small puddle on the passenger side floor mat. It's not leaking through the door seal, but instead coming from under the dash:cry: I stick my head under there and it looks like its coming from the bottom of the A-pillar/corner of winshield/ upper corner of fender area. Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it? Should I make my truck a convertable(sp)?

2. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I had this happen on my 98 K3500 which is a different body style than yours but on mine, I had some screws missing that held down the plastic piece on top of the cowl and water was going down into the blower duct and coming out onto the floor. When I pulled the floor trim plate off and pulled back the carpet, there was about an inch of water sitting in the channel near where the trim plate was.

I ended up putting the missing screws in and siliconing over the top of all the screws that looked like they penetrated into the top of the cowl. So far I think I fixed it. I ran water all over the truck in that area and didn't get any more drips.

I think I have read that some people with your body style have had leaks caused by bad caulking of the cowl area. Go to www.fullsizechevy.com under forums/technical& maintenance and there is a sticky at the top that has a bunch of pages dealing with this problem. The info in that thread is what pointed me in the right direction to solving my leak.

Wayne

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wayne is correct. A break or crack in sealing caulk in the cowl area is likely whats letting the water in as its not that all uncommon on certain years of these trucks. Can't recall GM ever releasing a TSB for it though.

If you pull the plastic cowl cover off and run some water through it you should be able to pin point where it's getting through on the body seam.

You can reseal it with some good seam sealer (3M for example). Just go over all the existing sealer/seams from side to side...and be sure to be generous with it. :nod:

4. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

Wayne, thanks for the link. It looks like you're not cool unless rain leaks into your truck. I'm so glad I'm a member of the club.:dizzy:

5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

You are welcome. Its such a nice thing to deal with isn't it? My leak was starting to cause some of the paint on the floor pan to bubble up. I ended up sanding the spots down and putting down primer and paint. I even ended up replacing the carpet with some factory take out carpet I bought on Ebay. Good luck on getting yours fixed.

Wayne