1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaky Transfer Case

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowplowjay, Jun 17, 2003.

1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I think that this story may have an outcome that goes a little something like this. Too many hands on one plow truck spells trouble.

At the golf course we have a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 24V turbo diesel dump truck with an 8' Fisher plow. It has only 3,000 miles on it as it is a municipal truck and we only drive it to the City Garage, around the course, and to run local errands.

It was brought in to the Dodge dealer to be serviced since the transfer case was leaking like crazy. Sounds to me like it had too many hands on it this winter I mean come on its only got 3,000 miles on it.

Jay

2. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I'm not surprised by that at all. My 2000 Ram dripped oil all the time and had 3 rear main seals installed within two years. Finally the mechanic caught the real underlying problem: two hairline cracks in the block's skirt near the seal, apparently came that way from factory!! Required a whole new short block. Third time's a charm, so they say!

Looking at your avatar, Those lights are way up there! They aren't a visual obstacle in your line of sight, not to mention how they must illuminate fog or snowfall all the more?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2003
  3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Yes Roger they are very high up but ive never really had a problem even in driving snow and whiteouts ive been pretty much ok.

Jay

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

A lot of the dodge's tend to leak at the output shaft seal (both 2 and 4WD).It's an easy fix,pop in a new seal.

The higher the better for plowlights IMHO.The higher they are the better you can aim them to get more light on the ground,instead of way down the road.I haven't found them to be a problem in fog or heavy snow.If the visabilty is that bad,I turn them off,and use my foglights which are mounted low under the bumper.They shine right under the plow,yet don't light up the fog or snow to blind you.I also turn them down and out when plowing to illuminate around the sides of the blade better.

Here is a pic showing the fog lamps.Just elcheapo wally world stuff,so if it breaks I'm not out huge $$$.

fronttripped.jpg

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I like that pic of the blade scraping the slop up off the pavement :)

Jay

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I thought he broke it:confused: :D

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Blade never broke,but a few trip springs bailed on me that night.If it did break,I'd just make it stronger :D Not the best way to plow,but we got the job done at least.It's amazing the plow would even scrape like that,but it does a pretty good job.Any trip edge plow was pretty much unusable that night,as they would trip,and fly up,just would get underneath it and peel it up.

I forgot to mention,with the higher plowlights,I can run my blade higher for better cooling (yes,it works),and still have the plowlights shine over it,and the foglights shine under it.