1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaky ram

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by glennemay, Feb 10, 2011.

1. glennemay

glennemay Member

Ok, so the other day I was driving along a narrower back road, swerved to avoid some numbnuts on his cell phone and clipped a seriously frozen pile.

I found a weld on the plow the cracked, thats being fixed tomorrow. No problem there.

Here is the question. I noticed the ram on the right side is leaking. The plow snapped to that side when I hit the ice bank. I am assuming I blew it all past the seals when I did that.

Should I re-build the cylinder? If so I would love to have the instructions on bleeding them.

This is a Minute Mount 1 9' plow with the Inst-a-act hydraulics.

Thanks
    G

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

From Fisher Maintenance Guide 2006 (see below). This is for a straight blade. I generally angle the blade back and forth with the weight of the blade suspended by the carry chain and the lift cylinder fully retracted. Never had any air issues.

Here's the Fisher stuff:

Air Removal – Straight Blades
    11. Turn control on and completely angle blade to the
    left and right several times. Turn control off.
    12. Fill reservoir to top of fill hole and replace fill plug.
    NOTE: Loosen fill plug slowly to relieve any
    pressure in the reservoir.
    13. Turn control on and raise and lower the snowplow
    several times. Activate control float function and
    manually collapse lift ram all the way after each
    lowering of the blade. Turn control off.
    14. Fill reservoir to top of fill hole and replace fill plug.