1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaky manifold gasket?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by firelwn82, Mar 6, 2008.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1997 F-250 HD old body style. 5.8 (351), Its got leaky manifold gaskets, VERY COMMON. Whats the best fix for the issue so I don't have to do it again for a long long time? I have a set of headers but is it worth it?

2. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Are there any bolts broken? I would just replace teh manifolds.. More times then not you'll take them off and have issues getting them back on and end up stressing them even further.. I'd at least have them cut flat if you want to reuse. The best gaskets are going to be the thinest ones you can get..

3. firelwn82

Thinner is best? I would of thought it would have been the other way around, but thats why I'm here asking. What do manifolds run?? I have headers that were given to me, are they worth it or no?

4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The thicker the gasket the more area the pressure and heat from the exhaust can deteriorate the gasket and blow it out.. From my experience you dont want a large thick gasket on exhausts.. If the two mating pieces are flush enough to each other you really dont need a thick gasket to compensate for the irregularities between the two.. Most times on new engines we'll install new manifolds without any gaskets at all, they dont need them.. ..

Headers really arent worth it unless they are very good quaility.. if you're worried abotu leaks, headers arent for you.. The better ones have a lot thicker flanges and wont warp like the cheap ones tend to..

Price on the manifolds im not sure, a quick call to your ford dealer with the vin (usually last 8 or 9) will be the best..

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Are we talking exhaust or intake? Check your repair manual. My 89 is like this and they don't change stuff very often.
    The exhaust manifold should be a metal to metal mating. It calls for a thin coating of brake grease between the surfaces before bolting together. The pipe to manifold is just metal to metal. Are you sure it's the manifold ( not rusted out ) and not another connection / pipe?
    If you search the inter net you can find exhaust manifolds cheaper then a parts store.

6. firelwn82

Its definitely the exhaust now weather its rusted out or just leaking are two different stories. I would have to investigate that and find out. I don't think I wanna do this myself though, I'm afraid I'll break the bolt off and have to tap the head.