1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaky housing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 4prrdu, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 4prrdu

4prrdu Junior Member

Guys, any ideas?
    I recently purchased a ’97 Ford F-250 light duty w/ a Western 7’6” plow (UniMount w/ solenoid Isarmatic Mark IIIa). Both are in great shape as truck only has 17,000 miles on it – always garaged. Plow action was sluggish but worked OK. Found fluid level to be low so drained and changed fluid per owners manual. Plow worked great. Let plow sit overnight only to find a puddle of oil under it the next morning. Oil was leaking from joint between motor and reservoir housing. Changed cork gasket – did not use sealant as no sealant was found on old gasket. Topped off fluid per instructions and plow worked fine. Next morning same thing – oil leaking from same place. Removed fill plug and oil shot out yet no oil seeped out when fluid level plug was removed, so reservoir was not overfilled. Is it building up pressure inside the reservoir and pushing oil out of the joint? I am not even sure how oil would be at this joint if the oil is at the proper level. Is some type of relief valve stuck or dirty? I would appreciate any help as this is my first plow. I did download the Mechanics manual from Western but did not find my answer. Thanks!