1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaky gas tank patch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by terrapro, Oct 20, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i just remembered a trick to patch your gas tank that i wanted to share with you guys if you ever have to. i had to patch a small leak that turned into a faucet once the straps were off on mine that reminded me of a little trick after much frustration.

first pick up some stuff called "seal all", it comes in a tube and is actually pretty cheap $2.50 and you can get it from anywhere. then grab you favorite bar soap, i prefer ivory for this task.

if your tank is flowing pretty good it is hard to get the seal all to stick so take the bar soap and rub it on the hole until it stops leaking. the soap will fill the hole enough so you can patch it with the seal all. i usally spread it on with some cardboard then let it dry for awhile. then put a big gob on another piece of cardboard and stick it on and hold it there until it sticks on its own(a couple minutes) and just leave the cardboard.

i have also heard of people using crayons before. give it a try next time before dropping $500-600 on a new tank.