1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mole, Nov 27, 2005.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

I have fluid leaking from my lift cylinder. When i disconnect it what should I be looking for behind the cover?. I mean it's not a lot but I does raise a concern. I can't figure out why it's running down the piston. Also when I check the level of fluid I always see a bubble at the top. the fluid should just be at the bottom of the neck correct?. also is there a way after you add the fluid to get any air out?.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where exotically is it leaking. The ram seals, hose, fitting, valve body?
    I know you said the ram, so, why do you need to take the cover off? Other than to cheek the fluid level?
    If it is the ram look for any damage to the ram is it bent, nicks, heavy pitting?
    Is the ram end loose (packing,seals) if it is it can leak around the seals, try to snug it up a little. Other wise its time for a new one (ram) as most are not easy to do-it-yourself to re build. If it is the fitting or hose just replace and get an extra one to have on hand in an emergency.

Or it it just over flow from your reservoir.(over filled?)
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  3. mole

mole Senior Member

that's why i would have to take off the plastic cover to see if it is over fill as for the lift ram it's self no cracks or bends or spotty rust. I just can't figur it out, it didn't leak at all last year, I noticed it when I put it on for the first time this year to bing it home from storage. I think Im going to bring it to the dealer tommrow to see what's up. as for the seal how would you tightn it up and were would that be?,
  4. mole

mole Senior Member

maybe im saying it wrong, the main cylinder that lifts the plow up and down not the lower 2 ram cylinders, the main source of the plow arm up down that leaking. everytime the plow is in the up position i see fluid on the bottom.