1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking upper radiator hose

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nlongojr, Feb 3, 2013.

1. nlongojr

nlongojr Junior Member

I recently had a Western HTS installed on my 07 F150. We have not had much snow but did get out twice to push a couple inches. I did 3 driveways within a half mile of each other than drove about 6 miles to the next one and when I got there there was antifreeze leaking from the thermostat side of the upper radiator hose, not much but steaming like crazy. The temp gauge never moved so I was kind of surprised. I made it home and added a bit of antifreeze then had it flushed and redline added. The next time I plowed same deal when I got to the last driveway about 6 miles from the first 3 this time more as leaking out and it appeared as if it was coming from the back of the engine. I made it home let it cool then went for a drive and after about 6 or 8 miles I stopped to check and it was leaking from the bottom of the upper radiator hose by the t-stat, I tried to move the clamp and it broke in 2 pieces. Has anyone had this issue and since I fixed to clamp should that clear it, Like I said the temp gauge never moved so I don't think it was overheating just too much pressure for the broken clamp. Also when I check at the last driveway the trans cooler was hot to the touch. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The stock hose clamps are cheap as hell. I replace them when ever I can. The hose gets moved and they start leaking. Any miles on the truck I replace the thermostat too. Anymore they just fail. No warning! Just move the old clamp away from the area and put a new screw type on. You take to hose off. Make sure you put gasket shellac inside the hose area that makes contact with the sealing area. Use a screw driver to tighten. Socket and ratchet gets them too tight. Breaks the clamp or cuts the hose.

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

^^^^ What he said
    I will often drain a bit of coolant and put some silicone on the inside of the hose and snug it up let it sit a few hours and refill and run.