1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaking trans cant figure out were its coming from

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplowpro, Sep 16, 2013.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a 96 f250 with e40d trans I put fluid in it and ran it . After I parked it about ten minutes later it leaked out but cannot find were its coming from.
    Any ideas would be great.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you looked underneath and visually looked?

3. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

Why did you add fluid? Did you overheat it? Could be the overflow vent.

4. snowplowpro

from NJ

I looked underneath and the pan was wet with fluid
    I added fluid cause when I checked the dipstick there was nothing on it so I thought the trans had no fluid so I put a little in .

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well your gunna have to clean it all off and start fresh

6. snowplowpro

from NJ

my other question is could the gasket be a minor leaking problem like will it leak out if gasket is bad.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Was it running when you checked it? I know its a dumb question but you never know.

8. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

how rusty is the pan itself?

9. snowplowpro

from NJ

it was ruuning when I checked it and the pan is not rotted but it is starting to pit but nothing major.

10. Jim74

Jim74 Member

I had the adaptor plate that connects the tranny to the transfer case crack on me once on a 97 I had.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check your cooling lines. Look for fluid trails down the sides of the case. Look at the drive shaft seal. Look at the dip stick tube and seal. Wipe off the bottom cover and see how quick it gets wet again. They can rust out and weep fluid.

12. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Check trans lines. Check the fluid level in the transfer case to make sure its not transferring fluid. Also the gasket between the trans and transfer case is a known leaking point. It looks like the pans leaking but its not. Its the gasket between the trans and transfer case

13. snowplowpro

from NJ

well knock on wood I changed the trans pan gasket and so far no leaks

14. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

If it does leak again. You can buy a pan for a 4r100 and the gasket for it. Its reusable and isn't garbage like the rubber or cork ones