1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaking torque converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by flatbed, Oct 20, 2003.

1. flatbed

flatbed Member

i have an 80 350 th that i just got.. in the morning. or the first drive of the day..it won't move in any gear...and i have to rev it up to 1000 rpm to get it to engage....after that it does just fine..will the converter leak back into the tranny???? can i fix it with out putting in a new converter?????? or just deal with it till it won't move.......thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I've never heard of a convertor drainback problem on a GM product.You may have a problem with the pump,or seals,that are leaking when cold.A poorly installed or leaking filter could cause it as well,and it could be sucking in air.

Does the fluid level rise dramaticaly when sitting overnight ? If the fluid goes way up the stick,then maybe it is the convertor draining back.I'd be suprised if it is though.

3. flatbed

flatbed Member

wyldman.....fluid level is half up the stick in the am.....the trans cooler hose was leaking.......fix'd it .... it has a fresh rebuild on the tranny....so the guy i bought it from said.......i haven't had the pan off it yet to check the filter.....i used (trans.x) in a Buick i had once... think it might help in this case??????

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

When you say half up the stick,do you mean halfway up the whole dipstick,or halfway up between add and full ?

I'd still be dropping the pan and checking the filter to make sure it's not sucking air.

5. flatbed

flatbed Member

wyldman.....fluid level is half up the stick in the am.....the trans cooler hose was leaking.......fix'd it .... it has a fresh rebuild on the tranny....so the guy i bought it from said.......i haven't had the pan off it yet to check the filter.....i used (trans.x) in a Buick i had once... think it might help in this case??????

6. flatbed

flatbed Member

half up the whole stick... 2+ in. above full mark....on full after it warms up....

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Maybe it is a convertor drainback problem then.Let me yank out the manual and see what they use for a check valve,or what else it could be.I'm not a tranny expert,but maybe we can figure it out.

8. flatbed

flatbed Member

thank,s wyldman........got a good deal on this rig.....but im finding lots of ghost,s in it

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

I just spoke to my tranny guy,and he said he's never really seen this much on a GM tranny.He said there is no check valve,and it's not the convertor.It would most likely be a bad pump,or input shaft bushings leaking,allowing the fluid to drain out.

10. flatbed

flatbed Member

wyldman....sounds like a good weekend project......rear main has a drip also.... might as well kill two birds with one stone......thank,s for the help.....:waving: