1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking thread (cylinder, not forum)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by timbow, Mar 3, 2009.

1. timbow

timbow Junior Member

First of all, this is my first year out there relocating snowflakes with a real plow. Who knew it could be so much fun? The old set up was a Wrangler with a 6' Meyers, manual tilt and manual lift half the time. I now have a used 8' Super Duty on a F-250 Super Duty that has a leaking thread on the left side where it attaches into the cylinder. The fitting is hand-loose, as compared to hand- tight. It doesn't snug up due to hose restriction. From searching around, I understand that the thread does not make the seal, but rather a taper on the inside does? Anyhow, not being familiar with hydraulics in the least, are there some steps I should follow before I just start removing hoses/ fittings and the like? Don't want to spray down myself or the garage in the process if avoidable and want to stop the leak. Thanks ahead for any help. It's great to have have a forum like this out there where a rookie can learn something.:salute:

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If it is your lift cylinder, push it all the way down,this will help get oil out of it . Use a drain pan when ya remove the fitting. You can get a tube of thread seal for hydraulics. I know that farm dealerships like Case International will have their own stuff they sell. I always use some of that stuff on my fittings regardless of the type. yOU

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry ab out that hit the wrong button., Y ou probably have ta take the hose off the fitting in order to turn it tighter. If Im missing the mark give me more details.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You will have to remove the hose from the fitting and might have to remove one of the pins through the cylinder to swing the cylinder out so that you can tighten the fitting back up. Use some pipe dope, dont use thread tape. There will be some fluid in the hose and cylinder and might be under some pressure so loosen the hose slowly. Make sure to cycle the blade a few times and then check the fluid level.

5. timbow

timbow Junior Member

Got it! Nice and dry. Thanks for the help!