1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking Power Steering

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PabstBlueRibbon, Aug 15, 2010.

1. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

I come you you guys for help, I am pissing out power steering fluid. I have located the place it is leaking. It is under the pump, on the arm that comes out, and turns your truck. What is that Arm called? Im trying to figure out what seal kit I need so I can rebuild it. If need I can get pictures.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pitman arm. It is attached to the steering box/gear, not pump.
  3. PabstBlueRibbon

Ok it seal right above that is blown out? what do i need to fix it? I dont think duck tape will work in this situation!
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If it is indeed the pitman shaft seal, common practice is to replace the steering gear. My AutoZone has two in stock, so they are common replacement items Make sure you can get the power steering hoses disconnected from the steering box in case you need to order new ones.
  5. PabstBlueRibbon

the seal kit is $60 but i can get a rebuild for $145 im just gonna do the whole box
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Changing that seal can be a pain. If u have never done one or want the learning experience change the box. We do the seals all the time and there not alwasy easy or fun.That seal kit seams pricey.aU are more then likely gona need a pitman arm puller to get the arm off. Unless u can reall heat it up and use an air hammer. U might want to save the hassle if u dont have the tool or borrow one from parts store.And just purchase new pitman arm
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. PabstBlueRibbon

Im really struggling with if I should do it or take it to a shop. I would not want to buy a new pitman that's another $65 that don't want to spend.
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

RedHead Steering Gears.

Makes an excellent remanufactured box with tighter tolerances that result in very tight steering. Worth it if you have some slop in the gearbox.
  9. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

i bought a used one at the junk yard for $50. never had a problem with, just keep the wheels aligned and balanced.