1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaking hydraulic angle piston

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by carrfamily01, Jan 14, 2014.

1. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

I have a 8.5" Western pro plow plus with the ultra mount. I am leaking hydraulic fluid from the right side piston. It is not at the hose connection but where the piston extends. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? A broken seal? Is it worth fixing or should I judt replace it? Thank you for the replies!

2. LON

LON Senior Member

throw a seal kit in it and keep on moving on.

3. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Thank you, what do the go for?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What's the piston look like? If its all pitted there's no point in resealing it

5. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Piston is clean, no pitting which is good. I hope to change the seal this weekend. I just have to find the time. How long does it take, never did it before. Any suggestions or tips? Thank you in advance.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Does the ram have nicks and pits,
    if so a seal kit might be in order.
    \be careful with those shovels around your rams...

But first try to tighten the gland nut.
    Tighten the packing nut on the end of the ram a bit and
    see if it stops.

7. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Thank you SnoFarmer. There's no nics or pitting so I'm hoping tightening the packing nut does the trick. Thanks again.

8. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

When you tighten, do not tighten too much. 1/8 turn ought to do at a time. If it keeps leaking, time for new seals (and maybe a piston).

Also, it can be pitted, have burrs and divets on the inside of the housing, which you cannot see until disassembled.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^ good point/ tip on the tightening or the gland nut.
    but the pitting?
    If the stinger is pitied where it does not extend past the seals it doesn't matter.

Pitting and nicks can wear on a seal.
    I have some old rams with pits/nicks and they don't leak enough to notice.

a bent ram can seep some fluid too.

10. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

^ I just responded in a thread a few weeks ago about how my manifold and cartridges kept getting contaminated. After repeatedly cleaning the manifold, cartridges, reservoir, filter, pump, and lower rams, I finally disassembled everything and found the lift ram had a divet (not burr) on the inside, and the seals were missing the bottom washer. I bought it this way and have been using it w/o issue [major] for 4-5 years.

Also, if the plow was purchased used, if drained of fluid and not refilled sometime in the proximate future, the ram housings are a magnet for condensation.

Just sayin' it's possible to have a damaged piston on the inside of the housing, although it's far more likely to have it on the exposed area.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^ yep. I agree...

12. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Thank you guys for the great insight. I'll post this weekend with the results. Thanks again!

13. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Sorry for late post. I loosened the packing nut a bit and put pipe dope on and tighten it back up. No more leaks! Thanks again for the helpful advice.