1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking hoes?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Nov 21, 2014.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Just bought a new 8' Super Duty.I find that after a little use that the 2 hoses at the end where they thread into both tilt Cylinders are weeping fluid.I don't want to drive an hour to have the Dealer fix these hoses. I tightened both up until they would not tighten up anymore.I am now thinking that maybe the dealer should have put thread sealer of some type before threading in the cylinders. But the threads are dry. What would be the best thread sealer to use, teflon tape or regular pipe sealer? Lastly after removing the hoses and know I will lose a little fluid, will the hydaulics bleed air out of the cylinders automatically or by working the controller left and right? Thanks in advance.
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Damn leaky hoes. Put hydraulic thread sealent on them or if your extremely careful Teflon tape. But Teflon isn't recommended for hydraulics.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I had a leaky hose once. I got what I deserved for cheating on my GF with one of those leaky hoes, we hung out with at the time.

A week or two of antibiotics, and it was all gone.

Just a thought..:eek:
  5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Word to the wise...Don't stick your leaky hoes in the wrong sealant can.
  6. Do It All Do It Right

Do It All Do It Right Senior Member

New hose or sometimes you can take it off clean the fitting and put it back on. The hose usually seals at the flare in the coupling not the threads. Bleeding is done by extending and retracting the cylinder until it moves smoothly.
  7. peterk800xc

Thanks for the help.

:drinkup: thanks for help on this.
  8. BossEric

BossEric Member

Did you say you just bought it? We had a service update about a month from BOSS to be on the lookout for the leaking cylinders. They received them from the factory with the faulty threads. They weep fluid.They have a fitting to fix it.Have the dealer check the cylinders serial no. to see if they match the no. in the service update. And they will repair them for you.
  9. peterk800xc

Well I called the dealer in Buffalo and as was expected after this massive snowstorm was told that you had to drop off your truck to be fixed as their parking lot (s) were full of trucks that needed fixing and would be called when repaired.I called BOSS and a Tech di not mention the faulty cylinders but told me to get some LOKTITE 545 and re-seal the threads but definitely no teflon tape. Now wheres could I find this Loktite except at our local FASTENAL Store. Got some and 10 minutes later all seepage was stopped. Great stuff.Not sure how ez it will be to remove hose but I looked it up and on their website said to use alittle heat and a big wrench to remove fittings. If it does start to weep again I will have the dealer check the cylinder. So thanks again and no more leaking " HOES" !!!:mechanic: