1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking gas tank

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mistel, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I have a 1989 f150,gas, with a leaking fuel tank. I want to sell it so I don't want to put any money into it. Is there any way to patch the leak with caulking or some other type of sealer?? Not sure exactly where it is coming from other than it is dripping near the front of the tank.

Anyone want to buy it?? HA HA

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will have to find where the leak is first,if you can find it,then you can patch it.

There are lots of quick fix type kits.Go to Canadian tire,and buy a Loctite gas tank reapir kit.Follow the instructions,and it should fix your leak.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

BTW,I noticed your local.Were having a get together soon,if your interested,follow the link below.

Toronto\GTA Meeting
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If its all full of rust,id replace it. You'll waste more time trying to fix it,when you clean off the area to patch it you go thru another rust hole,been there done that.Our local salvage yard carries a full line of replacement tanks in both steel,and even some in plastic.Most are around a hundred bucks,the truck will sell better with a new tank., fuel leaks are dangerous,and lately MTBE contamination is getting real bad,park that truck anywhere near a well,and 1 gallon cof gas can contaminate that well forever,the water will taste so bad in in a yrs time you will not be able to drink it,in addition to the health risks. We recently found out we have a contaminated well at work,I think its from a guy who parked here last yr with a leaky fuel tank on an old F150. he leaked quite bit if fuel no one wrote his plate down, no one thought about it at the time,to late now.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

John's probably right.If you do need to replace it,let me know.I can get you a new one at cost,and also have a good line on southern used ones.Your not to far from me,I live in Maple.