1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaking fluid

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tkrepairs, Dec 14, 2007.

1. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i am slowly leaking fluid from the main plow lift cylinder right where the chrome shaft goes into the cylinder. it doesnt squirt out and you cant see it running out but the cylinder is covered and when i leave the truck after using it for a while theres a small circle of fluid in the snow beneath.

is fixing this as simple as pulling the pin from the triangle lift head, tilting the piston out, unscrewing the giant "nut" from the top of the cylinder and replacing what i would believe to be some sort of seal under there? or is it a bit more complicated than that, im hoping to do this tonight before we get hammered with whats supposed to be 12"+ inches of snow here tomorrow night.

the plow doesnt seem to be moving any slower than usual and i have had no problems with it thus far, should i just leave it and get through this potential "big one" and look at it after? i dont want to risk being stranded but the track record for this plow is batting 1.000 and i feel mostly comfortable waiting. has anyone had this before and had it turn into a big issue?

THANKS

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Can you tighten the gland nut a little.
    This may solve your proublem.

Get the proper packing for your ram before you dismantel it.
    You can rebuild it your self it's not that hard.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto to what this 'boy' says. :nod:

Try tightening the nut first, just don't overtighten, nobody likes tight nuts. :jester: ;)

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hold on stop....:eek:

What insite does ##xt have to add?
    This farm boy would like to know?:waving:

5. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

lol dunno why i didnt think of just tightening the nut first but ill give that a shot. i think if i can get a packing set today ill fix that tonight to be on the safe side. how long of a job is it? about an hour or so? it seems pretty straight forward.

6. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I just repacked both my angle cylinders, doesn't take long at all (it was my first time). I would say one cylinder should take you less than an hour, including the removal and re-installation.

Soak your new seals in clean fluid before installing as they'll go on easier and be less apt to be damaged--you do want to go easy and don't force anything.

Pay attention and make a note of the old seals and try to duplicate the quantity and order of them--sometimes the new seal kits have more than you may need (a tech. guy at Fisher gave me that piece of advice).

If you have packing nuts, like me (as opposed to glands), take care not to overtighten them--no more than about a quarter turn past where you feel the nut contact the packing. Should be a couple threads left exposed.

If you have the glands, you might have a quick look at this Fisher paper: http://fishersnowplows.com/pdfs/56557_100302.pdf

Good luck! Smart to take care of this before the storm, although frankly you'd probably be fine waiting (just have to keep a close eye on your fluid level).

7. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

i just swapped out the seals with the kit from fisher. it was a new style kit with 2 seals and an o-ring, no packing. it went in smoothly and took maybe a half hour to complete the job. works like new an no leaking :) the kit says tighten the nut to a feeler gauge of 0.012" then go 1/4 turn after. easy enough for me! and a good fix at only $7.50 thanks guys!