1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking fluid? Please help.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Apr 16, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hi guys, I was putting my '08 VXT on last night and was having a bit of a struggle with it. The ground had softened up a bunch and a little game of 'chase the plow' dug the nose in... Backed the truck off, replaced the dirt under the plow, dug the nose in again, etc... Finally got the plow level enough to line the pins up good and got it on using both the power lift and pushing up on the light bar.

I noticed two things after getting the pins locked... First, I've lost the screw that secures the top of the cover on the box containing the hydraulic connections. Second, I noticed several big drops of hydro fluid on the springs below the box. I checked the external connections and didn't find anything actively leaking and there was no fliud actively accumulating from anywhere else... I put the plow through the full range of motion and everything ran good - even moving both wings forward simultaneously.

I'm figuring that I dropped the screw at some point and that it's no big deal, I'll just throw another one in there - and that the fluid was released while I was manhandling the plow... What do you guys think? I'm going to check again tonight to see that there is no new fluid lost.

Thanks guys...

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak

one thing i have found that some times if the plow is just a little bit over full or not level (pointing up hill or downhill)you can push a little bit out of the breather on the tank when you try to power it down ,maybe even over using it to lift it with the smart hitch .:salute:

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

That's really interesting... That would definately apply in this case as at one point I had the thing tilted pretty far forward - ended up with the pin holes under the plow side mount... Previous to that, it was tilted somewhat forward and I was alternately using the lift and pushing on the light bar hoping to get enough pivot to lock the pins... Definately got a bit of argument from the lift a couple of times... Jerking and that sort of thing.. I guess I should be taking it a little easier. Thanks for the information! :drinkup: