1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaking fluid from lift ram

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chs1993, Nov 11, 2011.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

I have a mm2 thats leaking fluid from the top of the ram. Not a large volume but its starting to become more. The plow is a 04 model and I was wondering if I should just buy a new lift ram or is there another fix out there.
  2. LON

LON Senior Member

unless the ram is pitted just throw a seal kit in it
  3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

True, don't replace a ram that is in good shape. The soft seals/packing will wear naturally well before the hard chrome so they are likely culprits, but pitted chrome will eat new seals, so check the ram over as well. Remember the packing on the ram inside the cylinder is the main border between hydraulic pressure and the outside on a lift ram, not the seals where the ram comes through the cylinder body, but I've heard stories of fisher lift rams that just a tightening of the packing nut to stop leaking.
  4. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Thanks i'll try to tighten the nut first and then seals. We've had 5 inchs every other day this week and are supposed to get 4-6 inchs tonight!
  5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Even if it still leaks, you'll still be able to get by for the time being until you get it fixed. Rarely do you see a seal blow out completely, but just steadily leaks more over-time.

6. LON

LON Senior Member

If the lift ram is of low friction style then you will have to put a seal kit in it.
    If the ram has chevron style packing then you can try tightening the packing nut.