1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking fluid as fast as I can pour it in

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cameo89, Feb 20, 2014.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have a 05 Boss RT3 7'6', leaking fluid from pump '' area'' can not pin point exactly where, i burned through 6 quarts in a couple hours, local Boss dealer being a D-bag and saying pump can not be rebuilt after a buddy of mine just had his done a few weeks prior to this from same dealer. I have looked and found a o-ring screen kit for apx $48 am I able to rebuild this myself without to much complication? I feel I'm handy, I have installed all my own plows, swapped engines ect.

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It could be just an o ring under a valve. Does it leak only when it runs? Or all the time? You need to find the leak. If you rebuild the pump and it is a valve body leak it will still leak.

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Take the time to find the leak. I can't find it so I'm gonna rebuild the pump is not a solution.

4. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

After plow was disconnected from truck, there was a huge puddle of fluid under it, I will pull cover tomorrow and try and locate leak

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Just had similar thing on boss's 9'2" power v. Leaked constantly whether using or not. Pulled the pump of headgear and found a one inch cap on the back side had come loose and o-ring was damaged. Oddly I could not find this plug on any of Boss's parts diagrams and the o-ring was not included in the seal kit. Luckily I found an o-ring that fit, tightened the plug up and hasn't leaked since. This was the first Boss I have worked on.

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I will definitely look for that, our snow is pretty much done for season I believe, but I actually went and bought a nice used Boss 8'2' Vee blade to finish up my jobs, always wanted a Vee blade. Thanks for all you info and possible solutions.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Red shows where the mysterious leaking plug is located on the pump I fixed.

bs.hydpwr.jpg

8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Thanks, I'm going to clean off pump and fill with fluid to identify leak.

9. BossEric

BossEric Member

Hello Cameo89, What did it turn out to be ? Did you figure it out yet?

10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

No not yet, had a long day, hoping to get to it tomorrow.