1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking cylinder

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by seville009, Dec 10, 2011.

1. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Was at the dealer a few days ago getting my Western serviced. A guy I knew was there because he had a leaking seal on one of the cylinders of his Fisher. He had purchased and had it installed at the dealer over the summer. Said that the fluid was coming out of the seal. Dealer said that that was the second one they had in two days. They put a whole new cylinder on for him. Not sure which model plow he has other than it was a straight 8.5'.

Just posting this as a "for what it's worth" for anyone that has a new Fisher; may want to check for leaks around the seals. Don't know if it is an issue or it was just a coincidence that the dealer had two customers with new Fishers have the same problem.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have seen several new Fisher plows with leaking cylinders, including mine. All of them had the same issue. Paint on the cylinder body where the packing nut screws in, this causes the O ring to roll out of place and leak. Very easy fix. Take packing nut off and sand the paint off the beveled edge. If the O ring is still in good shape reuse it, if not not replace with new one.