1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking Coolant????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Nov 9, 2006.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was washing down my F250 today and noticed a light green tint running of the exhaust pipes coming doen from the manifolds. It was obviously wet under there because I had been washing the truck. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. There is no major lose of fluid or puddles. When it dried on the exhaust pipe it left a little streak of light green. I looked and looked, but there are no leaks. I am going to have checked when I bring it in for service. All the fluid were flushed when I bought the truck about 2 months ago, do you think some anti-freeze could have dripped then and it was just running off? What would be around the right side manifold going down the exhaust? I assume it is anti-freeze.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

On some of the ford trucks they had some leak issuse around the heater hoses. ck there they had caused some problem on some of these trucks filling up the plug well with coolant causing the coil on plug to skip. Id ck there. Most likey pressurizing the coolant system when it is cold will show something if there is indeed a leak.. good luck

3. DeereFarmer

Thanks, I'll give it a check.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Run the truck and park it in the drive. Pop the hood and start looking for steam or wet places that grow. Some leaks are real hard to find. That's why I say stop and watch.
    Small leaks are hard to find, pass your hand around hoses, you may find it because pin hole leaks don't pass big amounts, but their do drain the system after a while.Look for steam or drips.

5. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

you can also put a die in your antifreeze. Run the truck for a few days and get a black light in the dark and shine it everywhere to see where its leaking. Thats how i had to find my leak.

6. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the tips guys. I wish it would dry out around here so I can investigate this!:angry:

7. brad96z28

small leaks hardly ever show when hot due to expansion and contracion.
    If u could get ur hands on a pressure testor and pressure it when cold that is the best way to go.:waving:

8. brad96z28

this also works very very well.

9. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

pressure test, or die. Might be leaking from the heater hoses. But this is already been said.
    LOL