1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking between pa block and sump.

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by meyer907, Oct 17, 2011.

1. meyer907

meyer907 Junior Member

I am new to this site as well as plowing in general. I bought a 1993 dodge w250 with a plow on it that has been sitting for years. So far I have flushed they pump (along with the rams). Replaced solenoid, electric motor. I also looked at the nut on top of the C Valve and it broke.

Here is the problem I am having now, it will lift and lower the blade with no issues until I angle it right and then it starts leaking quick between the pa block and sump I would say a qt in a min if I was to keep going with it. It will then leak like crazy no matter what I ask it to do until I drain it completely. Once i drain it completely and refill it works fine up and down no leaks. it does not appear to leak down.

I took the pa block off and replaced the 3 O rings, looked for cracks and granted I am no expert by any means I do not see anything that says hey I am leaking here. The 4 bolts came out easy and I put anti seize on them when I put them back in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated at 18 bucks a qt here it gets expensive quick. I also just don't want to throw money at me wild guessing.
  2. meyer907

meyer907 Junior Member

Sorry it is a E-47, i think it is of the 80s version.
  3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I can't help with your problem but just wanted to say WOW on the cost of fluid up there!
    Good luck
  4. meyer907

meyer907 Junior Member

That is just the tip of the ice burg. C valve 224.00. I just paid 176 for new electric motor because I wanted to work on it this weekend. Needless to say I will be ordering parts online provided the shipping isnt insane which most of the time it is.
  5. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

A buddy had one once that did the same thing. It ended up that water had frozen and cracked one of the internal passages. When you have it apart again, check for hairline cracks anywhere water could have gotten in and settled with the fluid. He ended up getting a new sump base for his pump.
  6. meyer907

meyer907 Junior Member

Thank you Snowdays, after closer inspection I think you are correct.
  7. crete5245

crete5245 Member

If not sure on wether it is broke or not, go to the auto parts store and see if you can get a crack detection kit for aluminum. You basically spray two different cans on the part and the different colors will show the crack up. Works really good on aluminum heads for cars..
  8. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

If you replaced the O-rings already then there might be a small crack somewhere.
  9. meyer907

meyer907 Junior Member

Thanks to all who had suggestions, I replaced the sump base and that has taken care of the leak.