1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaking Antifreeze

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Aug 2, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hello, my 83 chevy k10 is leaking antifreeze through the bottom of the electrical fan (or what seems like it) and into the fan hood...where can this be coming from? is it a big issue? MOST importantly, should i be driving with it in this condition? is it something my friend and i can fix with decent knowledge? thanks!

2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Which electrical fan are you talking about? Your radiator fan should be belt driven, and your electric heater fan is accessible from under the hood.

You might have antifreeze in the heater plenum if the heater core is leaking, but it won't leak in the same area as the heater fan.

If you are talking about the area of the main engine cooling fan, you might have a bad water pump that is leaking onto the fan shroud. Leaks at the water pump don't damage anything directly, but as the coolant level drops the engine will start to overheat. Water pumps are not very expensive, and relatively simple to replace on an '83.

Bruce

3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Assuming for the moment that we're talking about a factory belt-driven fan and not an aftermarket electric fan, it is very possible that the water pump is going bad. With the engine off, gab the fan and try to wiggle it back and forth (try to move the tips of the fan towards the radiator and the engine). If there's any appreciable motion in this direction, you probably have a bad water pump. The bearings in the pump eventually wear out, which first shows up as a worn seal that causes antifreeze leakage. If not repaired, the bearings will eventually fail to the point that the fan can move forward and cut into the radiator. Don't ask me how I know this...

If we really are talking about an aftermaket electric fan that's on the front side of the radiator, then chances are there's a leak in the radiator core. Be aware, however, that leaks can drip into unusual places, so take care to find the root source of the leak.

Joe Padavano

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

is there any way to fix a small leak in the cooling fins of a radiator without having to replace it

5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

its not that bad replacing them probably 250.00 new don't get them used otherwise you will have the same problem. i don't think you can fix it becuase once it is rotted threw in one spot the hole thing is rotted and will probably just crumble when you touch it.

6. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Most of the parts places sell replacement radiators by Go-Dan Industries (GDI) or Transport, and they run about $110-120 for most of the older GM trucks. You also might be able to find a Modine radiator from some of the online places.

If you repair the radiator you will probably pay $50 or more for the labor, and other holes might show up later.

Bruce

7. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I didn't check my spelling for the last message. The radiators sold at the parts stores are usually from GDI/Transpro (not transport).

Bruce

8. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

First, yes it is possible to solder a small hole in a copper radiator. The problem is that unless the hole is obviously caused by a puncture, a small hole is usually an indication of other weak spots in the core. I get my radiators from National Automotive Lines.

Joe Padavano