1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leak with a 8.5 extreme v

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Mick76, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Hey all,
    I just picked up a great deal on a 2 year old extreme v. $2100 complete!!! I couldn't pass it up but it does have a leak under the motor/reserve.... any thoughts? I've never ripped open one of these pumps...seal? It runs and operates fine.....

TIA
    Mike

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Congats on the Plow pickup..Im sure you will be happy..Im sure Palmer will chim in soon to help you out...:laughing::eek:

3. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I know we have had an o-ring leak on one of the boss plugs, which is a simple fix.

Not a whole lot to them, if you have full function and just a leak, it shouldn't be to hard to see where the leak is coming from when you take the covers off, and have someone move the plow around.

Here's the Mechanic's guide
    http://www.fishersnowplows.com/pdf/27365.00_010107.pdf

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Uh oh, the yellow strobe was going off again...........

It's pretty easy to work on, once you get to it. Remove the silly little rubber band holding the pump covers on. It's probably a cartridge o-ring that's leaking. One nut holds the solenoid on. #6 and #10 might be tough to get the solenoid off due to ballooning of the cartridge. I put a post up about that, I can link it if you want :D. After that, the cartridges come out nice and easy. And it's most likely #6 or #10 that are leaking. I would order O-rings for all of them, and replace them.

Also, double check the fittings coming off the manifold that the hoses connect to. They are not much money at a hydraulic shop. At the very least get a spare or two, and some spare o-rings for those.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's leaking at an O-ring on a manifold fitting a simple tightening of the nut usually solves it unless its been run too long with it loose.

As a PM on the DD stuff (MVP, Wideout, XV, XLS) you have to periodically check the torque on the fitting jamb nuts, as the hoses move around (as the plow is used) and tend to work on loosening the fitting jamb nuts. Just another thing to add to the "to do" list.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I got to it yesterday.... simple o ring of the boss plug like you stated bruce... I tightened the screw and done!... I'll replace the o ring when I change the fluid but I love it when something FINALLY goes my way! I talked the guy done $900 because of that leak!.... Now I just have to find a truck to put it on.... I know its alittle backwards but you just can't pass up a deal like this!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Too bad you couldn't find an old K-5 Blazer in nice shape. That would a be a driveway weapon.

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You can put it on my truck...:)

9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Or mine for that matter.

10. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

Do you want to sell it and make some quick money?

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the offer snow but its already on the truck... hell, I could run it for 5-6 years and still make money on the thing!... good luck with your search!