1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leak from Hub 09 F350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by crossboneracing, Dec 27, 2011.

1. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Hey guys,

Quick question. My 09 F350 gasser is leaking something fron the hubs, just behind the wheel cover on the front wheels (drips down, sticky like light grease or gear oil) on to the rim. Dealer says normal (obviously its not). It did this before and was getting real hot to the touch on the hub and they ended up replacing both calipers in front. Trying to figure out where its coming from. Is it typical for the locking hub to leak or whatever? First newer ford, trying to figure out whats going on with it. Thanks guys!
  2. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

could be an axle seal. just had both of mine replaced on my 05 f250
  3. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

I was thinking more on the hub itself (the locking part). I will try to snap a picture today when I go down to my shop.
  4. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I would put money on the unit barring starting to go if is getting hot to the touch like that. Unit bearings are just like the old wheel bearings but in one self-contained unit. Not rebuild able and expensive to replace. That’s why the dealer doesn’t want to replace it.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Probably the hub bearing or axle seal. Bugs the crap out of me when you get the "that's normal" or "we've NEVER seen that before" Had a new truck and by 6,000mi it was chewing up front tires and was told by the dealer that the front end was in spec and it's a heavy duty diesel truck and I need to rotate the tires every 3-4000 miles. I told them that was ridiculous that I would have to rotate tires more often than change the oil. And why is this the only truck that's chewing up tires. Brought it to my buddies shop and got an alignment, got a receipt saying it was $70 and dropped it at the dealer. Rotated the tires at 6K, got an alignment, and rotated them again at 30K good thing it was "in spec"