1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leak Fixed - still won't angle/raise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dwa, Nov 12, 2008.

1. dwa

dwa Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Hi, I have an old western conventional plow with Isamark cable controlled pump. All was working until I tried to move some five foot drifts when the plow wouldn't lift. Chained it up and headed home. Found all the fluid had leaked out, but couldn't find evidence of the leak location. Finally noticed the packing nut on the left angle ram was pretty loose. Tightened it and refilled with fluid and could raise the plow at normal speed, but it wouldn't angle either left or right. Kept working it to see if I could determine the problem, and raising the plow got slower and slower until it creeps up just so far and quits -- motor still running. Noticed there is still a film of fluid on the ram plunger itself, but no major leak. Removed the covers from the three and four way valves and the levers seem to be moving as they should, athough the 3-way is not exactly horizontal in the neutral position, but favors the "down" side. Also, when I took the 3-way valve cover off, there was a very slight bit of hydraulic fluid there (I use the Western fluid). Finally, there is a tiny hole in the front of the case just below where the motor mounts that is part of the case and there is a very slight seepage there. Sorry for such a long post, but wanted to provide as much info as possible. Any ideas as to the problem? Does it sound like I have a bad internal seal some where or that the ram is bad (or both?). Appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

2. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

did you recheck the fluid level after you cycled it? you might have alot of air in the system.

3. dwa

dwa Junior Member
    from Wyoming

Yes, fluid is right at the bottom of the treads of the fill hole