1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaf springs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hfdresq1, Dec 7, 2001.

1. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

does anyone know where i could get a set of replacement rear springs for my 1985 k30? i have an 8 leaf set-up right now that has a cracked spring on the left rear and half a spring on the right rear. want a good set but don't want to break the bank since i just installed a new engine and dual exhaust.
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Cheapest way out is to find a spring shop near you and look into rebuilding your spring packs. If you can do it yourself all you need is the spring leaves, new center bolt and new hanger bolts. Torches would make it easier, but lacking those either a sawzall or a small grinder to cut the old bolts and a floor jack to lift the chassis off the axle. This is assuming your main leaves are intact so you don't ahve to get into the shackle bolts. If you're interested I can describe the job in more detail, but it's actually a pretty easy shade tree operation and takes about a half a day. Spring shop can do it in a couple hours and it's a couple hundred, maybe three hundred, dollar job around here. Doing it yourself you can probably get away for not much over $100.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

there must be a spring shop,around you they can repair what you have for not much.......i just had some repaired last week , three broken on one side and two on the other ......86 blazer.........cost me only 200 bucks
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I just replaced the rears on my 1 ton DRW old style cab, and they were 9 leaf packs, with 4 leaf helper, 175.00 per side.
    Get new ones, with the rear shackles, makes life a whole lot easier.
  5. rottie

rottie Junior Member

Go with new! You won't be sorry. I'm in the process of redoing my whole truck over C-30 to K-30 I oppted for 10 leafs with a single helper. This gives me 3950 lbs. each spring. My cost for the 10 leaf and hardware(u bolts, shackles, mounting bolts was $465 complete with shipping from www.springnthings.com There is a girl down there smart as a whip on springs very helpful. I went with single helper for the simple reason that the way the springs are made the single leaf gives me more wieght resistance than a multi leaf system does. But a multi leaf looks cooler. I got my helper in Hartford, Super Spring his prices are reasonable. Better than Waterbury's. I also installed 4 leaf springs on the front for my 8 footer not much negative arch either when lifted, but it does ride like a TRUCK. I think that set up ran me about $315 complete also from Spring n Things. No wieght problem now. For the price, in the long run this is the cheaper way or do it again next year by adding and repairing:cool:
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Ok I was quoted today. 132.00 for 9 leaf replacement springs per side and 100.00 per side for the 4 leaf helper pack. Superior Spring in Hartford Ct.