1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dgerke, Dec 3, 2010.

1. dgerke

dgerke Member

Good morning all ,have a question I have a 92 F250 with a western 8ft Strait blade.
    the front leafs are stock and look a little concave with plow on it .is this normal or should I add a leaf or bags to comp the weight of plow? Also how much weight should i use for ballast in my 8ft box to help with traction? thanks for any input

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd start with at least 500 lbs of ballast, as far back in the bed as possible.

I don't have any input on the arch of the front springs. Some (Ford) guys say the Ford springs will hold up a bulldozer :laughing:

3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Your saying that the springs are concave, just so I know were looking at it the same thing, the springs look as though they are arched the wrong way correct. If so YES that is the way they are supposed to be. I have seen several F-250s with front leafs like this.

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Does your front tires look like this? / \

Then time for new heavy duty leaf spring. Those leaf springs don't last FOREVER they do wear out from age and plow.

5. dgerke

dgerke Member

The front leafs have a slight bow down when plow is mounted was considering adding bags tor extra support ? any thoughts:mechanic:

6. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

7. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Mill, my tires look like this / \ :D

dscf0352j.jpg