1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf springs to Coils.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fordistough, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Doesn't it really frost anybody that Ford has gone from the tough durible leaf springs, to switching to the light duty, un reliable, hard to replace coil springs? I was happy to know that Ford was still sticking to the nice leaf springs, but now that is not an option anymore. I guess too many wosses were complaining about the rough ride. Well it's a work truck and should be expected to perform up to those standards. Ford is now one step closer to becoming a couch on wheels like Chevy and Dodge.

-Thann

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

While many were concerned about the ability of the new superduty platform to carry a load, most of those worries proved to be unfounded. They coils do sweeten the ride a bit and allow a tighter turning radius.

You can always bolster them with stiffer coils, an air system, or timbrens if your application causes issues.

3. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

They went with springs to tighten up the turning radius. thats why the new truck turn better than the ones with leaf springs.

4. Coil springs is the main reason why several guys around here went with the 4500 Chevy. One guy even bought a Misu. Before 2004 they would never be in nothing but a Ford. But now a days if you don't have heated leather to got to an office job.No wonder a $9,000.00 truck cost $40,000.00. Also see lots of Toyotas driven by guys who all ways buy American. Toyota built by Americans in America. Ford in Mexico? Go figure. Brian

5. chrisd

chrisd Member
    from buffalo

I'm Presently Trying To Replace My Coils On My 2005 350. Any Body Got Any Suggestions? I've Tried The Ford Dealer And They Have Suggested The 7000# Capacity For The 550 But I They Don't Have Enough Information Yet. Has Anyone Tried This Yet?

6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

For what it's worth...I have the leaf springs and it is a rough ride, BUT, it's a work truck...4x4, ext. cab. I use it for work, snowplowing, and camping, so I didn't buy it for it's "ride-quality" necessarily.

However....from what I've both read and heard, the coils are just as capable as the leaf springs AND like is mentioned, offer a better ride and tighter turning radius.

So, I don't know. I love the "toughness" of the leaf springs, but when it comes time for the next truck, I suppose I'll be out of luck, UNLESS, Ford will offer leaf springs as an option?! Who knows? In either case, I've been thrilled with my truck and have had nothing but good experience with it. Ford rocks.

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I am just curious as to how coils aren't as durable?

They are more effienct as they work through the suspension cycle compared to a leaf. I would rather replace a coil then replace a leaf pack. And as much as i have abused my truck, including at least times when i was 3ft in the air, i have never once broke a coil in anything i own

BTW why do all Off road racing teams use them? They stick and cycle better than a leaf ever will and look at the abust they get. They might rebuild the shock but still use the same coil race after race

8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I think that some of the negative feeling comes from when ford used the same type of setup back in i think the 80s on thier trucks, heck even the 66-79 broncos had the same set up. if everything isnt designed right you can have handling problems, do a search on death wobbles and you will get alot of info.

9. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

There is a huge difference though from the 80-96 in the TTB setup. On a solid axle in 79 and back there is/was no problems. Look how many people still plow/work with a 70's Ford, it is running stock coils after 30 yrs

10. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

we have 5 '03-'04 f-250's and 1 '05 at work with western mvp's and the coils
    hold up just as good as the leaf springs, the only bad part is the front end sits
    about an inch lower than the leaf springs but it has a much better turning radius

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ahh, and you just put you're finger on the source of the distrust. The TTB, not the coils. Many people mistake the source of the problem as the coils when it was infact the poor design of the TTB system.

Coils are superior springs to leafs in many cases for both front and rear suspensions. Longer travel, softer ride, smoother ride, just to name a few. It is much more common to break leafs than coils in severe duty, leaf packs are self detrimental- debris in the pack between the springs deteriorate the leaves- it has been a problem as long as the style of spring has been around- long before the automobile I might add.

If the suspension is properly designed around the coils you will have a better system, and changing the coils is usually easier, yup, easier than changing leaf springs. it's easier to change the coils on a Ram than an old Leaf sprung Chevy for example. The difficulty, or draw back in a coil is the strength is fundimental of the spring material where a leaf pack can have another leaf added.

The failure in the Ram suspension is the poor choice of track bar ends.