1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf spring swap....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by sledneck24x, Apr 11, 2011.

1. sledneck24x

sledneck24x Senior Member

I just wanted to double check is there any difference in the mounts for a 2001 f250 diesel 4x4 and a 2002 F350 diesel 4x4. Sick of the weak leaf springs on my f250 and someone of craigslist has a set for 125 bucks. so i thought id pick them up.
    thanks Jon

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Check with the seller on the spring rating (on the door or b-pillar), as it may be the same as what you have if both trucks are similarly equipped. They'll bolt right up though. I've been using air bags on my 99-04 Fords, and love the adjust-ability.

3. sledneck24x

the only real difference is the springs he is selling are from an f350 and have the snow plow prep package. I was also considering doing the air bags by next winter but for now new leaf springs will make me happy. What brand are the air bags you use?
    Thanks Jon

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

f-250 and f-350 use the same springs. the thing that matters is the spring code, or weight rating. if you have 5400 lb springs on both trucks, you will not see any difference.. if the 350 has 6000 lb springs, they will be stiffer and the front will sit higher with the plow on.

5. sledneck24x

I picked them up they look like they will work. Even if they are the same weight They will be better than what i have mine are very worn out. But How do you know if they are X-springs? (hear alot of people talk about them) The only reason I ask is the springs have a yellow X on them. Not sure on what that means.

6. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

You would have to know the spring code that was on the door jam off the truck they came off of to know exactly which code springs you have.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Are we talking fronts or rears? I have a stout set of fronts I may be selling off of my F350. The truck barely moves with an 8611LP. I only want to level the truck a little better is why I may change them out. I'll probably get a custom set made. The ones I have are much more stout than stock springs. IIRC they have 4 total leafs.

8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

On 6000lb springs the main spring is thicker than the stock 5400lb ones