1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf spring squeak!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M&M, Aug 13, 2011.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Here's my problem on the truck in my signature. The plastic spacer between the upper leaf and the second highest leaf spring on the front side of the leaf springs has worn out. The truck squeaks on EVERY little bump and it's driving me nuts. The dealer says they do not sell just the plastic spacer. Only the whole leaf spring kit. I have a spring shop that I checked with and they do not have anything that fits correctly. Any help from the plowsite boys would be very much appreciated!

2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

A buddies truck had the same thing happen. Found a 2" x 3" chuck of rubber 1/4" thick, glued it on with weather stripping cement and has held up for 2 years and still there

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're local spring shop can't help (I'm surprised) they are available from the dealer individually, GM p/n 15604067. This isn't the current number but he can find it from the old one.

Or Dorman has them in the aftermarket now so they can be had from any local parts store that handles Dorman products, which of course most do. http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-21776-31067.aspx

The trick to keeping these OEM style plastic isolators in place is to periodically apply a little chassis grease on them. This reduces the friction thus preventing the overload leaf from peeling them off.

Or, if you want a no maintenance permanent solution switch to the rubber band style, which is what I recommend. They stay on and last a long long time. http://www.merchant-automotive.com/rearspringinsulators.aspx

4. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Dang you guys are good! Thanks! Looks like I'm ordering some rubbers!

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I found them at a Dealers....
    Both plastic and rubber ones..
    The rubber ones look to be better they have a stem that you pull thru the spring hole ..