1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaf spring on wings

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by Vettel, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Vettel

Vettel Junior Member

I picked up a 10-16 metal pless this year and so far the bottom bolt the holds the leaf spring to the skid shoes on the wings have broken 3 times. The bolts were not replaced with bolts from metal pless. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what could be causing the issue and how to prevent this from happening again.

Im talking about the black leaf spring as pictured above that attaches to the skid shoe on the wing.

TLSIMMONS Member

I would check with Paul from metal pless ,I'm certain he could help you out.
  3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

What grade bolt are you replacing with?
  4. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I replaced mine with grade it, I believe you can loosen the tension on it with the second blot behind the mounting bolt....we storm or plows ok blocks after where done so the springs don't stay compressed still next storm
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

WAT...? Lol
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep. What was that?
  7. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I just thought it was the Michigan accent...
  9. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Haha , when I re read it I wish I could have said it was the alcohol....but unforantly it wasn't.
  10. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

I had the same problem with breaking the bolts, mine is just a regular live edge box though. My dealer told me to remove the leaf spring. Now it actually works much better for rolling up over the curbs then it did with the leaf spring on
  11. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

Masssnowfighter is correct, I have also been told to remove the leaf springs from the wings. Operators have been putting down pressure on the front of the blade wings causing tension on the springs and premature wear on the shoes.