1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

leaf spring guys, question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Beater_K20, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

is anybody running helper air bags on the front springs? i thought about doing this on my truck to help with the harshness of the ride (sometimes i have 5 miles or so between driveways, lots of county roads) and to help support the additional weight of the plow. any thoughts?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well me being a solid axle chevy man. i can tell you that yes thay work my friend has them on the front. but first off how many leafs do you have in there now.?

all those old trucks had a few simple bugs to work out to make them ride better. if it were me i would add a 2.5" lift kit from tuff country. not rough country. tuff country rides the best. and super quality. this will get you out of the flat springs and in to a small arched set. the arch will give you more cushion.

and get a set of hd shackles and greaseable bushings/bolts also for the front. the frame shackle bushings all go bad quickly and the spring basicly rides on the frame.

the longer shackles will help from this and its a ubgraded bolt size also.

if you need more info or pics just ask me. i have a few of these trucks on had.

and look at http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm and http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/TuffCountry.htm for the springs and shackles/bushings.

3. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

well, the truck im looking at doing this to already has 2.5" lift springs in it, so i was planning on running them as is, and just adding the bags. running them empty when the blade isnt on, and only adding enough air to get the truck to sit close to level with the blade up. mostly to reduce wear on the springs.

i love Tuff Country products, i have 4" EZ rides in the front, and 5" EZ Rides in the back of my '93. however, as you may remember from CK5, Watson and I dont see eye to eye on his business ethics/ i wont be going to him for anything (even my steering brace will not come from him). i was actually thinking of calling Kert at diy4x (when it comes time to play with the truck some, rather than getting it ready for plowing this winter) on his HD shackle brackets and a set of HD shackles. been very pleased with his stuff in the past, and he was a tremendous help to me on several occasions. that goes a long way in my book.

4. sweetk30

kind of figured it was u as same user name. :waving:

most bag kits dont rec no air when not in use. min amount needed. unless thay changed.

i can get pics for you from my friends 79k20 with them. :nod:

5. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

pics would be sweet!

here's my newest addition. 1980 K20 small block (unknown displacement, its not stock) SM465/NP203 (i thought all 80s were 205?) the round headlights kinda threw me too. ah well, who cares, its easy enough to find parts for.
    [​IMG]

6. sweetk30

you dont need those wheels. ship them to me. payup

7. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

i kinda like them. but whats in it for me?

8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have a K20 with air bags on the front. They really work great. Gives good ride with or without plow on. Carries the 1000 pound plow well. Timbens are a joke. I have a set on a 96F250 diesel. Rides like a lumber wagon with plow of and not much better with it on. I just bought a 2008 F450 this fall and put air bags in the coils to handle the Blizzard 8611(1470 pounds). Worked out perfect. Bags were only $80 and didnt affect the great ride the truck came with.

9. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Dude, it's a plow truck, deal with it, LOL. I plow with a 89 K5 and run a Sno-Way. The light weight plow is nice, but it has it's draw backs too. Had a couple spots last season I just couldn't get under. One of the other guys with a heavy plow had too follow up for me. For the most part I really like the Sno-Way on the K5. I can get in tighter areas then our other trucks because of the K5's shot wheel base. The Sno-Way doesn't stress the front end like heavy plows do. I did crack the blade once, but it's easy too replace with a sheet of plastic. We went just a tad bit thicker then the factory original. Worked like a champ. [​IMG]

10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

i Only Have Chevys And Gmc's In My Fleet None Newer Then 1995 Most Are In The 80's All With 8ft Meyers Commercials On Them We Had A Local Spring Shop Beef The Fronts And Back New Main Leafs And A Couple Of Added Leafs In Between The Old And Has Worked Great..........as Far As Lift Springs Get Rid Of Em If You Plan On Keeping The Heavy Plow On The Front Because They Will Lose There Arch Quick Good LucK And Come On Snow !!!!!!!!!:drinkup:payup

11. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

its a plow truck when there's snow on the ground and when its not, its a general workhorse, which means driving it without the plow. it turns out the front lift is just an add a leaf, but i love the stance, and it rides awesome (SHOCK for a K20!) i see what the plow has done to the front springs of my '77, and i figure if i can spend a few bucks and save some wear and tear on my equipment, i might as well.

12. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

oh, and it turns out the 203 isnt a 203 at all, just a slip yoke 205 with a 203 knob stuck on it.