1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf Blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Weenuk, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Wondering who used leaf blower to aid in clearing snow from walkways, steps or even driveways? If so, which makes do you use?

2. dglandscaping

dglandscaping Junior Member
    from NH

I use the redmax 8000s.. most powerful. Also, using them for snow removal is great as long as the snow is light and fluffy... saves on a lot of ice melt/ salt too because you can get it bare... I end up pulling them out 3-4x per season and using them for snow

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We've used the redmaxs before but they come back very corroded. I suppose with immediate.cleaning it would be fine I personally don't think it saves much time, if its that light shoveling should be extremely fast.

4. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Shovelling tires workers compared to blowing. Same principle over blowing leafs compared to raking. Your correct with the extra cleaning required over lawncare usage. Something has to be done during down time....

5. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I got an echo 770 this year for the light stuff. I did have a hand hald echo it was good but not fast. And it save's on ice melt.

I love my Z just not now

6. Longae29

I have to disagree, its not comparable to leaves. If the snow is light enough to blow it is light enough to walk down the sidewalk with a pusher type shovel and clear the area much faster and with less effort as opposed to slowly walking making the back and forth sweeps with a blower.

7. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Try shovelling 30+ walkways compared to blowing. Less strain on the back. You have every right to disagree...

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The blowers work great on 1.5" of fluffy or less. Get down to bare pavement, so no icemelt needed. Loud. May piss people off overnight. We now use the wide 30-36" snow plow shovels. Just as fast with no noise. Sometimes does require light icemelt. This is now our preferred way.

9. Longae29

I just know how lazy some of our sidewalk guys are, and given the choice to blow or shovel they choose to shovel, I (and they) thought it was a good idea, but they prefer the wide pusher shovels for light snows....

10. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

We have joked about trying this for the really light snowfalls over the years, but never actually done it.

Biggest reason we have probably never done it is IMO I think it would just look silly. :)

11. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Looking silly? No one cares about how they look if the job is done just as quick with less effort. Most of the crews up here use the leaf blowers for light snowfall. This looks less silly then crews driving around in rusty POS trucks with rusty POS plows...

12. lawnlandscape

I care. My company image is very important to me.

Our reputation is to be the best option... everyone knows we are not the cheapest.

Every week I say to potential customers at least 2 or 3 times, "If your looking for the cheapest price, you wont find it here. We will be in the ball park, but what we offer is a better value."

Also... Nothing we have is rusty.

I like how your following me post to post... :laughing:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  13. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Bud, never wrote that you have rusty trucks or equipment. Wrote that this in general looks awful or silly. I dont care how a job is done just as long as its done correctly and well. How does blowing snow look silly??

14. lawnlandscape

I don't know... it just does. In my area we probably would only have one snow each season that is able to be blown anyway.. so the point is moot.

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Seen some Guys around here blowing snow. Most likely will try it as well this winter.

16. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Different areas call for different equipment and probably different methods of clearing...

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree, plus your not burning fuel.

18. Nickymaggs

Nickymaggs Junior Member
    from PA

Light snow Stihl Br 600 back pack works well.

19. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Does your Stihl have a winter option switch behind the air filter????

20. Nickymaggs

Nickymaggs Junior Member
    from PA

It sure does.