1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Leaf blower for sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sameakman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. sameakman

sameakman Junior Member

Has anyone used leaf blowers to blow snow off of sidewalks?

How effective has this been for you?

I have 22 sidewalks 3'x40' to remove snow from at a condo complex and usually shovel them but thought I might try blowing them clean this year.

Thanks for you responses.
  2. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

well at the local auxilary fire department in town weve used a leaf blower. it works pretty good in light snow but anything heavy and doesnt work so good.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It will work only on the fluffy snow. Wet snow will be a problem. Stick with the shovel. JMO
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We tried one twice in very light snow. Bottom line, they are crap, don't even consider it.
  5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

yea they suck

Try a Power Broom, by Sthil there alsome
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Yea, i think others have covered it....they kinda work in light snow but you get a lot of blowback and it's really not worth it...and the throttle cables on those things freeze up real easy in the snow! Powerbroom works awesome though!
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Single stage Toro will work as fast as you can walk in light snow. Best bet for the easy snowfalls.
  8. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

i also thought of useing mine
  9. plowindiesel

plowindiesel Senior Member

we used an echo backpack blower last year and it worked well on the light stuff but once it gets a tad wet the blower is useless