1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lead wire from alt to battery?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by starfiresx, Jan 11, 2006.

1. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

I was reading on another club, that a guy with his Chevy was having an issue with his truck cutting out missing and hesitating. he finally found out that it was from his high end stereo and his lights pulling to much from the battery. after replacing the alt with another one, he still had the same problems. after searching around he found out an answer to his problem. change the power lead from the alt to the battery, that is like 10 gauge wire to the same size gauge of the main battery leads. like 4 gauge. after doing this his problem went away.

has anybody herd of this or done this. is there any truth to doing this. my truck has the small wire to the battery from the alt. but all others wires are 4 gauge. I ask because when I move my plow the lights dim greatly. and I have checked all wires and cleaned all connections.

thanks Joe
  2. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

Sure makes sense to me, I wonder if this is the problem that Im having with my heap. I've tried 2 new alternators and both charge below the 14.6 or > volts that it should be. I await responses from members who would know.