1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lead wire from Alt to battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by starfiresx, Dec 21, 2011.

1. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

Wire from Alt to battery

I have read on this site about upgrading the wire from the alternator to the battery to a larger gauge wire, like 2 or 4 gauge.

My question is that the stock wire has a fusible link located near the battery.

Is it advisable to remove this fuse.

My truck 1997 k2500. Only one Battery.

Joe

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

upgrading the wire size will remove the fusible link along with said connected smaller wire. i would reccomend placing a large fuse or large circuit breaker between the alt and the batt. I would think the protection device need be rated 10AMPS below alternator max output. these can be found all over ebay & at car audio install shops. heck, walmart has them too! amplifier install kits provide most of the materials needed. also dont forget the grounds. they just as important.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Look up "big 3 wiring upgrade". All the info you'l need.

4. starfiresx

starfiresx Member

OK, I looked for some time now and can't find "big 3 wiring upgrade"

Please help.

thanks Joe

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fuse breakers have no definitive yield point and allow spikes much higher then their rated capacity. IMHO 250 amps.

fuse holder.jpg

fuse.jpg

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

8. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

along with the wiring upgrade, a larger alternator upgrade is also a good idea. a unit that provides high output at low engine RPM. thats my next step to my plow truck. But, sigh, no snow to plow in central IA yet. :(

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Those Mega fuses can be found at Napa.Mine has been problem free for 2 years now after I got rid of GM's fusible link.