1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lead blocks for ballast in pickup bed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Nov 15, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

anyone know where i can get these.if your into nascar or any kind of racing you know what im talking about.i`ve done the bags of sand/salt thing and its nothing but problems bags break you use up the salt during the storm.

2. sam c

sam c Member

In my 87 F350 4x4 with single rears I used a worn out rock crusher jaw die. It's about 3" thick x 24"wide x 36" long and weighs 780 lbs. It's made of hardened steel/manganese. I welded some loops on it to strap it to keep it still. I've found it the best ballast I've ever used because I still have complete use of the bed. I used 4 WD a lot less too! Inquire at a local crushing plant. I got it for free.

3. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Lead is very pricey. like $25 for 20 lbs. I go to the local tire stores and get all the old tire weights and melt them myself. I thought about doing this this year myself but i can't figure out a good way to secure the lead in the bed.

pierce2.jpg

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Are those dirt or asphalt mods?
    Dino

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Dino they are asphalt.