1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LD or RD

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ctc5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

I'm looking to get a 7.5 for my 06 ram 1500. Should I stick with the LD for the lighter weight? weak fornt suspension on these. The price is not that big a difference. Also I've never used a trip edge before any opinions on what is better. The cutting edge is poly on the LD better or worse than steel? Also looking at snoway and meyer any info to help me make a decision would be great. thanks for the help.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you're planning on any significant amount of plowing or you're planning on it lasting a long time (years), I'd recommend the RD. Like anything else, the heavy built; the longer it'll last.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Rd

You can look at the rest, but you'll end up back at Fisher. The RD is a perfect plow for the half ton trucks, and I ran them for years as did my grandfather. You won't look back once you go Fisher.

4. gmcsierra1500

gmcsierra1500 Senior Member
    from CT

RD all the way

I have a GMC sierra 1500 reg cab short bed and i run a MM2 7-1/2 RD 2 cranks on the torsion bars and a set of timbrens and the front end doesnt even sag

5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

yep. yep . yep. yep. yep. yep. I AGREE. there are imitations out now but nothing like the REAL thing. if you dont like fisher at least get a western or boss.

6. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

I am worried that the rd at 700lbs. is a bit heavy for my front suspension. As opposed to the 550lbs. for the ld. I wish I knew of a person plowing with the newer 1500 to get a first hand view. Also if I go with the ld how is the poly edge? And I never used a trip edge I thought it might be easier to damage the plow less forgiving if I hit something. I searched for pics of the ld and rd cant really find any good ones if anyone has any could you post them. Also I got quoted 3509 + tax cash and carry for the ld is that about right? the rd was acouple hundred higher.

7. YardMedic

The LD and RD

pic_ld.jpg

pic_rd.jpg

8. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

the rd makes the ld look wimpy. Anyone using the ld?

9. topdj

topdj Senior Member

what year truck, a half ton standard cab could handle that.
    if its a crew cab you would have to go LD

10. ctc5

ctc5 Junior Member
    from ct

06 ram 1500 reg cab short bed. My previous setup was 99 ram 1500 with a blizzard 760lt wich was close to 700lbs. With my luck blizzard stopped making brackets for the 06. I thought that was slightly heavy and that truck still had the solid axle suspension unlike the new coil overs on the 06.

11. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

These are the type of plow I have been looking for my truck. Whe I go to get one it will probably get LD just so it is lighter on my front end.

12. YardMedic

They're all gonna move snow and move it well. It's obvious that the RD is going to handle a bit more than the LD, but it's no different than using a Tacoma to do what a 3500 used to do. I've beaten the snot out of Fisher RD plows, doing 40 driveways & 3 decent commercial properties. I personally would get the RD & crank torsion bars, add timbrens, and work that truck like it was meant to be, but the LD will do some work too and be a bit gentler on the front end. You'll get the same plowing width with a little less height. Realize, though, that it's a lighter plow and not intended to do large volumes of work.

13. George C

George C Senior Member

I just bought a 99' RC SB 1500 for plowing my business. I just installed a set of Timbrens.
    There really ins't a choice here, go with the RD.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Just to piss in everyone's cheerios, I'm going to say a 26 series Snoway = lighter weight, down pressure and wireless controls. And before anyone brings it up, you can get it in steel if you want.

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

99 foot?:eek:

Just ribbing ya. But, seriously, what it is?

16. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I plow commercially with an 06 f 150 supercab equipped with a 7.5 mm2 rd. with a 2" leveling kit and 500 lbs of ballast up against the tailgate the truck handles the plow as well as my 03 superduty handles its 8' mm set-up. Before everyone starts barking i have had this truck in for warranty work twice for a faulty 4x4 relay without so much as a comment about the plow set-up or the fifth wheel in the bed. I would absolutely agree that the RD is the way to go on a half ton if you plan on plowing anything mare than a couple of driveways. Good luck , Roy

17. topdj

topdj Senior Member

its a regular cab get the RD

18. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

I agree with the RD however I had a 7.5 LD on a 01 Dakota for 3 years and plowed it residential and commercial heavy and never had one issue with it. The only thing I did was change the cutting edge over to steel for more weight and pressure for backdragging and I added a rubber deflector....helped with bloww over and it also helped with airflow to the radiator at highway speeds. Butg no complaints here. Like said before go with fisher and you won't be sorry. By far the best and simplest.

19. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Just another thought too, (not that it's recommended for your truck) you could run a 9' 29T series (629lbs), an 8'6" (691lbs) or 9' (701lbs) 32 series all in stainless from Snoway for around the same weight as the RD Fisher 7'6" (700lbs) and not have to worry about rust....

20. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Unless im the one whose wrong and only a snoway dealer could confirm this but i think those numbers for the weight of snoways are only for the plow and headgear and does NOT include the truckside mounts which tend to weight over 100 lbs...so actually they weight 730 to 800 pounds complete.

I would say go for the fisher RD there are plenty of people out there with those plows if not heavier ones on new style rams with quad cabs not even regular cabs. There was a guy i saw had an 03 ram quad cab with 20's who had a fisher RD and he plowed commercially with no problems.