1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LCO vs SNOW

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTTP08, Dec 17, 2010.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

This is for all the LCO and Snow peeps. Which do you prefer lawn care of the job or the snow removal of the job? I am leaning toward snow I make more money during the snow season but I hate getting up at 12 am haha. At least the lawn is on a scheduled basis and it is warmer out mabe I am leaning toward lawncare now :laughing:

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'd rather be landscaping in 95* heat, than to be plowing snow.

That's the price you make though if you have no other winter work lined up. Someday I'd like to make enough money so I don't have to plow snow anymore, or at least pay a couple of guys to do it.

3. I much prefer the landscaping and property maintenance side of my business. The property maintenance contracts are year round also but they are much less labor intensive. They both offer alot less headaches, not to mention alot less wear and tear on my equipment and personnel,than doing snow. However that being said, the winter maintenance adds alot of $ to my bottom line thus is a very important part of my yearly operation.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

From the aspect of the actual work, I prefer plowing. I enjoy sitting in my truck much more than being out in 100 degree weather stacking 80lb wall block or being 70' up in a tree sectioning it down while theres so much sweat dripping into my eyes i can hardly see...As for $, winter is more profitable on an hourly basis, but I have work everyday mid march - the end of november at least, so landscaping brings in much more than snow removal.

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Lawncare is more consistent and less stressful, although a longer season and will burn you out faster at the end.
    Snow removal is much more stressful for me. Anticipating the storm and the work you have HAS to be done by a certain time (7:00am). Stuff breaks down, it HAS to be fixed. There is less room for error in snow plowing and logistics plays a much more important role in a successful event. I enjoy the first month of both, lawncare and snow removal, but I look forward to the end of snow removal much more.

6. snowtech

snowtech Member

i prefer snow when it come to the work part. I like operating my truck, i like having just me and other plow drivers on the road instead of every tom, dick and susie cutting me off just so they can slam on the brakes to pull into mcdonals while i am pulling a trailer and locking up the brakes to avoid hitting their dumb #ss. (might be a little road rage going on not sure) but i like the night time with less traffic and just me and my truck making $. Also we are much more profitable in the winter than in the summer too so that adds to my vote of winter.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

100% agree. Long hours, lack of sleep, no sleeping while anticipating, etc....

If I strictly mowed lawns I would probably have to say that I enjoy plowing more as lawn care can turn into Ground Hog's day real quick. I definitively enjoy the creative side of landscaping over anything.

8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Its a toss up. By February I'm wishing for landscaping and by July I'm wishing for snow.

9. paponte

paponte Senior Member

The older I get, the more I regret snow. Like others said we are a property maintenance company, and it's all part of the job.

10. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I never had a customer angry at me because I couldn't cut the lawn in the next 10 minutes.

11. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I would have to say Im all for the snow, If i could get rid of the mowing/landscaping side of things i would. but if i did that i would lose some valuable customers. yes the snow side is much more stress full but it keeps me on my toes I have already made almost as much money this winter what i made all summer... and we are only 17 days into plowing.

12. Premier

Premier Senior Member

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

if that aint the truth

13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Haven't heard of any slips,trips or fall lawsuits on grass. Maybe that's next

14. TLG99

TLG99 Senior Member

I make bigger numbers in the growing season, but percentage wise, the winter is more profitable.

Overall, I prefer the landscape season though. The main reason is planning. I can plan days off (usually), vacations, buying tickets to events without fear of snow causing me to cancel etc.

Much, much busier overall April to November, but I know, for the most part, when I will be working and what I have to do. Plus there is a bit of flexibility in planning landscape work, not so much for winter.

15. procut

procut Senior Member

I'd rather do the summer stuff.

16. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I prefer plowing. We make way more money in the winter plowing. I like the long hours, the sleepless days and nights, the anticipation of the storm, and all the other crap that goes along with it.

17. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

Snow,Snow,Snow. I hate sweating my nuts off when its 90* outside! I'll take the frostbite any day of the week!

18. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

It's a horse a piece I guess. I don't enjoy the anticipation at all. I worry about the time too much, and I like my regular sleep schedule. If plowing wasn't such good money, I'd just say piss on it.

I mean for the average month(snow fall totals) I make the same in the winter as I do in the summer and work alot less hours, but I don't care for all the stress that plowing brings.

19. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

I wish I was taller, better looking, weighed 45 pounds less.
    My rich lady friend would hire you guys and I would be resting up for Golf season right now.
    Until then, Snow is my love. I would rather eat lint than do spring cleanup.

20. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

id rather do the first 2 months of spring before the usual july ohio drought than plow anytime but lately snow is becoming more and more of my business so maybe next year it'll be snow