1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LCC vs Saltbrine / Cost vs Results / Pro's vs Con's

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ndnchief, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

A few questions for those using straight LCC

Last winter I started using liquids with the help of people on this site. We did not have a very bad winter here and only went out 5 times all 5 times we pre-treated with a 90/10 mix. We had great results but like I said not much snow.The one day we had measurable snow ( 4 inches ) it was a wet snow so the post treatment didn't work so well as I was expecting.
    As I start this season I am thinking of ways to reduce my inventory of product and ways to cut down on time,( call backs, re-applications )
    Salt brine cost us about 25 cents a gallon to make and LCC cost us about a dollar a gallon
    My questions are, besides the obvious 4 times the cost.....

1) Does using straight LCC on parking lots / sidewalks cause any complaints for tenants about the ( greasy look ) or tracking into stores vs using salt brine or straight salt

2) Would the extra cost of straight LCC be offset by the lack of re-applications

3) Does LCC work with a wet snow

4) Do your parking lots stand out compared to other lots in the area that only use salt and or salt brine

5) Are your customers satisfied with the increased pricing of using straight LCC vs the results vs their possibly over all reduction in price at the end of the month

I think I can keep the pricing in the area of past years monthly totals for service but do a better job with straight LCC..is this realistic thinking? But would like to know from people that do this....Thanks, Mike
  2. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Need some help guys
  3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

1) My customers didn't like the wetness and tracking of the LCC, preferred the salt brine over rock salt. But if sub temps LCC was acceptable?

2) See # 1 customers didn't like and didn't happen again

3) As well as salt brine does?

4) My lots STAND out due to they are all melted before the contractors on the near by lots get there to spread rock salt

5) No change in cost. I charge for De-icing no matter what I choose to use, it's all the same cost.
  4. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Thanks Kubota, I guess I'll follow your lead, Your advise is why I have gotten into liquids this far...Better not change things now, just always looking for ways to improve my services
  5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to always be a good idea to spray before a storm. Simply keeps the snow from bonding to the pavement. I use a 90/10 blend as it is, for the money, best results compared to cost. Even if it does not melt all of the snow event, it has serviced a purpose and has saved/made me a little extra money. Also makes me/my lots look good while expending approx the same effort.

Spraying after plowing at a little less rate also saves a little salt cost and leaves the lot clean with little or no white residue.