1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LBZ or LMM

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mule585, Sep 5, 2012.

1. mule585

mule585 Member

So I'm lookin to add a new truck to the fleet and need some feedback. I'm lookin at a 2006 or the 2007 Chevy 2500hd crew cab. Any and all info will help a lot. I'm mostly stuck on engine choice, the LBZ or LMM. But anything about either truck I should be aware of. I will be putting a 8'6" pro-plus on it, doing a lot of towing with it and will probably be my daily driver. A power controller will be added so info on this as well would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Check out http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/? Lots of info on pros and cons of each.Seems like most love their lbz's.lmm have the regen feature,lots of complaints about problems with this. I have lly and have had no problems, lbz supposed to be a improved version of lly.lbz older body style lmm newer.

3. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I have a 2007 LMM 156k miles with 8' western pro plus, plowing since new. Either truck you'll need to crank the t-bars, add timbrens and shim them down, and weld gussets in the frame to prevent cracking with the weight of the plow. As far as the engine I have no complaints and it has incredible power. I added a programmer & exhaust and now get 19-20 mpg highway, and average 16.5 city/highway. I tow a Bobcat excavator 12k lbs. no problem, upgraded hitch (18k) and good trailer brakes.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I LOVED my LBZ and it retained its value very well too. They are highly sought after trucks.

5. mule585

mule585 Member

I have noticed that with the LBZ they are generally the same price if not more expensive than the LMM. How are the blind spots on the 07 I have yet to drive one and wondering if the higher bed sides make a difference.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How do higher bed sides affect visibility?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The frames are exactly the same on an LBZ or LMM. The NBS looks better and you can delete the dpf if you really want to if you buy a tuner. My LMM puller runs an LBZ motor and injectors so I know they're exactly the same. I'd never pay more money for an LBZ. Both trucks will handle the plow exactly the same. An LMM has a better transfercase then the LBZ.

8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

It does make a noticable diffrence , the cab sticks above the bed rail much less on LMMs and makes rear visibility more difficult. Companies that make headache racks now have shorter versions so they dont stick up too far. GM and Toyota have changed the ratio of the whole truck with huge bodys and smaller upper cabs ( glass area ) with Dodge and Ford still staying more traditional.

9. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

With the weak front end of a chevy i would just get a ford. The only way to go when your looking for a truck to perform work imo

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Chevy has a weak front end?

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I must not work my truck then if it's still holding up fine.

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm---weak front end?Is that maybe the reason my truck that now has 154K miles,which tows heavy fairly often,has a 9-2 Boss V plow on it now for 3 Winters,has 4K lbs. of Magic salt in the hopper,has all original ball joints,tie rods,pitman,idler arms AND original front brakes,it keeps on going?????I guess if it was a ''strong'' front end like a Ford it wouldn't bode as well.

13. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The ONLY thing a Ford front end does better is Death Wobble. You can have your real truck I gave up on ford in 09.

14. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The money you save on front ends can be used for transmission repairspayup

15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

No one mentioned Dodge...

16. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

:popcorn:............................

17. mule585

mule585 Member

Had a ford and it was a pile!!!!! The front end was a joke. Between the wobble, hubs, springs hell everything was replaced every year. The $2500 rotting oil pan. 5mpg plowing Yah that truck sucked!!!!

18. mule585

mule585 Member

O and my 2500 I have now has over 240,000 miles with original ball joints, hubs, and swaybar links.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A onetime modification vs a lifetime of annual wheel joints and ball joints at a grand or so? Not to mention the priceless death wobble...

20. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

News to me after 10 years and 225K miles

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012