1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lbz mpg

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NICHOLS LANDSCA, Feb 16, 2009.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I said in another thread that I'd post My MPG for a trip to CT and back. It was 1324mi each way. Running empty out there with the cruise set at 69mph I averaged 20.7mpg. On the way back I was pulling a 9,000lb boat, and in defense of the mpg on the way back we noticed all 4 tires were scuffing like they were toed out, so much for a new trailer:dizzy: Averaged 12.9 with the cruise set at 64mph.
  2. hansons glc

hansons glc Member
    from mn

how many miles are on the truck? that was good on the way there.
    was ther a haed wind?
    12.9 is all my freinds are seeing in there truck unloaded beating the hell out of them around town one has a edge other has a PPE. when the guy with the edge gose on long trips he got 17.4. both trucks are under 30k miles on them. at lest the price of fuel is down!!!
  3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Where those hand-calculated numbers, or taken from the trip computer? I have tracked every tank of fuel since new to include both hand-calculated and trip computer MPG. The trip computer cannot be trusted for anything more than a ballpark estimate. I've seen it read too high and too low by as much as 4 MPG.

My LBZ won't get 20 MPG no matter how carefully I drive. My best ever was 18.2 driving 65 and unloaded. 12.9 is EXCELLENT for pulling a 9K boat! I got 13.4 pulling a 6K trailer with a rock crawler truck for 1200 miles at 65 MPH. I get about 11 pulling a 34' travel trailer that weighs about 9K.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

45,xxx mi now, and yes it was hand calculated. I filled her up to the top of the filler neck each tank, I even calculated in the 5% difference with the 285's. I was disappointed with the towing MPG, I have a 40ft toyhauler and get 14 pulling it with the 07'. But like I said the tires were scuffing really bad. There is only 1/16" of tread left on the inside of all 4 tires.
  5. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I take a trip to my cabin nearly every weekend during the summer. It is about 252 miles one way. With the cruise set anywhere between 65 and 75, i can get 22 MPG, hand calculated. 3.73 gears in the rear end, and the only load is a suitcase or two, and some food. I also add Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner on every tank, and that gives me at least 1 MPG better. The truck has 48000 miles. The previous owner said he could get up to 23, but he was in between 55-60.
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

That would seem about right for empty and towing MPG. Dont think it would have been much better even with a good trailer.

My Cummins gets about 4MPG pulling a 28ft enclosed with my Camaro in it :rolleyes:. OK maybe it isnt that bad but I dont think its getting 12