1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lb7 duramax problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 09dieselguy, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

ok guys. im looking at a truck right now that needs new head gaskets installed in it. the owner tells me he took it to the mechanic and the tech stated the gasket was blown between 2 cylinders with no water in the oil. he said it runs well at idle. when you give it any throttle it has a miss. stated there was carbon on the injectors.

my thoughts with buying a truck like this is i dont know what kind of internal damage has been done to the motor.

he also says there is arp head studs installed on the motor. not sure when or why they are there. were installed when he bought the truck. how big of a chance it is that the heads are warped or cracked? what kind of chance is it that the injectors affected will need to be replaced again? does the cab have to come off to do the heads?

where is the best places to get the gaskets from. stock or after market?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Your best bet is to visit dieselplace.com. If you are close to merchant automotive visit Eric down there and explain to him what is going on, he is a duramax king.

3. 09dieselguy

im not finding to much on dieselplace.com

i went on mitchell and found out its a 31 hour job to do the job.

im still not giving up on the truck yet though. price has to come down some more on it but he said he wants to move it. single cab long bed with a 6 speed man with only 108 on the ticker. looks like a very clean truck. southern truck as well.

4. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

DuramaxDiesels and DuramaxForum are two additional forums you can check out..

5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

How much does he want? Get the VIN and run a check on it to see what the repair history is or has been. You can do that Here.

Its hard to tell if you need injectors if a balance test hasnt been done but that report should show if they ahve been done at all yet which is a toss up but probably have. Some of those LB7s have loads of injector probs and some have none. If it has head studs one would wonder a few things such as: 1) Have the heads already been off once for some reason or another 2) Did they have a bunch of performance items on here previously and head studs were a must 3) Was #2 the cause of the current situation?

Personally I wouldnt pay too much for this truck cause it seems it may have been a puller. Ask him what clutch he has in there.....if he says SouthBend or aftermarket you can pretty much bet he had it tuned up at one point and time. Probably has exhaust, gauges, and tuning on it also???

This is just my opinion. I could be totally wrong and it be a grandpa truck..who knows. These trucks did have injector, water pump, and head gasket probs.

6. 09dieselguy

ya im pretty good with the duramax trucks. i have a feeling that he was in the stages to build the truck that why the head studs were installed in it. he states he has never had any tuners installed. stated the truck has a cam in it after i questioned it.im thinking about talking him down enought to install a new motor and still be ahead of the game. the truck is what i have been looking at for sometime now. i havent been able to find what i want for quite some time now. i dont think it was a pulled as nothing has been done under the truck besides the clutch. its a twin disk but un sure of what kind. i havent talked to the guy personaly to see if its a kid or an adult. been going back and forth between text. i asked about the t case updated and he stated that hes had several duramaxs and has never heard of a t case problem with the trucks. he said the truck use to have guages but took them out. im thinking if i can get him down cheap enough on the truck i may buy it. he said he wants to move it fast. im just not sure what kind move it fast price that is though.

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Haha no tuner my azz. You dont put a cam in and not tune the damn thing. You got interior pics? Look for a DSP switch on dash or lower dash. If he does (ask him even) then you know it had EFI Live. Play with him a little and act like you dont know and you think its cool then when you find it all out use it against him. "Well since you beat the hell out of this I'll offer you this amount.....".

I wouldnt pay over $4K for that personally. Just me though.

8. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

a motor done at a gm dealership installed will be between 12-15k becareful what u pay for it!! if it had guages and a cam i guarantee it was programmed and run hard

9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Unless that truck is very cheap i would stay away and look for a better deal. That truck did have a tuner, no way he popped a gasket otherwise, especially with head studs. If you do some searching on dieselplace you will find your answer. The cab does not have to come off but when i had mine done the tech chose to pull the cab for easier access. You can buy another engine fairly cheap $4-$6k if you shop around and it wont take long to swap it out. I would look into the rest of the driveline too for other damage or premature wear.

10. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Just my opinion........I don't know a lot about the Duramaxes but this sounds like a truck that has been messed with.......a lot. It's bad enough buying a used vehicle and not knowing all its history. Sounds like an expensive headache to me.... no wonder he is in a hurry to sell it!

11. 09dieselguy

ya i was looking to get it more in the area. of 4 to 5k

i was playing it off as i knew alot about them. if he lies to me i will find it when and if i go to look at it. im seriously interested in the truck. i knew it was ran. im looking at dropping a whole new motor into it. i am looking for motors and have found a few. either that or i will tear the motor down completely my self and go through it and build it up for a toy. most likely wont be a work truck if i go that route except my own commercail plow truck but wont put a driver in it if i end up going that route. i may tear it down and play with it alot more. be a fun toy truck. chop the frame and short bed it. make a wicked resi plow truck as well. quite and shot. be nice to have a ebling on that.

12. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

changing a cam is not something routinely done on an otherwise stock engine especially one that hasnt been tuned. Most guys building engines havent done a cam because there is other work and tuning that needs to get done to have the thing run right. Stay far away from this if you dont have 10-12k sitting around for a rebuild or new engine.

13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Not only this but do you know for a fact the ZF6 is good? Clutch could be smoked and hes not telling as you would never know since it dont run.

14. 09dieselguy

im not going to persue it any further. i have done enough research on this motor to stay away.

thanks guys. i found another one that has more interest to me.