1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy employees

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by superdog1, Feb 20, 2014.

1. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I can't tell you how much time I have wasted gathering carts and putting them away before plowing a lot. While I have never taken the route this guy did, I know I have almost been mad enough to so!!!:angry:

snow mess.jpg

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've even seen guys do this in my small town.
    Do you have a provision in your contract to charge extra for moving carts?
    That's $$$ damage, no different than hitting a light post or car, except intentionally.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Not cool. I would kill the driver.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I think we have all wanted to do this at one time. I have, this last snow I have driveway that always has junk in it.
    One horse feed cart, hockey goal, 11 hockey pucks, red ball, shovel and one cat that would not get out of the way.

I just get out and pick it all up and do the hand work first.

5. NThill93

NThill93 Member

I've seen this at my mall all the time. I must say before the storm the parking lot is filled with shopping carts all over the place, so I cant blame the driver. Why doesn't the store send the guy out to pick them up and bring them in?

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Can you blame the guy?

Looks like a Home Depot carts. Which is done by nationals. SO they guy plowing doesnt get paid any extra for picking up the carts. So 30 mins spent picking them up is at least $50 wasted. It is the responsibility of the store to get the carts up before plowing. This might not have been the first time carts left out either. Plow guy cant charge more for picking them up, so plow them up. I guess he picked them up ;D

7. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

When we did our Walmart, there were times we collected the carts with a pusher a foot off the ground and put them in front of the open entrance after it was plowed. It was a running joke how many carts we had to collect each storm.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

When you're sitting in a loader with a 16' pusher there's no way you're getting out to move carts. There must be a clause in the contract that states that the contractor is not liable for carts left in the lot. These contracts are so lowpriced you'd be out of business if you stop for anything!

9. Any where from 150-400 per cart that's she money there

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have a small lot next to a supermarket.
    We find carts from them in out lot all the time.
    I leave it up to my guys.

Move them by hand or by truck I don't care.

These carts are not my responsibility nor will I pay some none to round them up for them.
    They pay their employes to police their carts.

we've been doing this for a few years and not one word from the supermarket about their bent up carts melting out of our pile.

In reality it's only about 7-15 a year that end up in the pile.

11. NThill93

NThill93 Member

sorry for the confusion by guy I meant the home depot employee who does it all day long not the plow driver.

12. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Good way to get rid of the bad carts....insurance claim time........new carts....

13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I bet shopping carts are expensive, anyone know what one costs?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So I'm just being used?

Go put the crapy carts in that lot. Wink wink and a nod

15. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

Just looked on eBay ....couple hundred bucks for wire ones...lot of 12 was $1800.00....sure the plastic are more

16. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

At the 24 hour walmart we do the guys are so lazy they just push like 5 carts at a time and are so slow. they get payed no matter what but there are carts everywhere all the time. the guy would rater sit inside drying his boots off. i usually go in and ask the manager to send the guy out sometimes they come out sometimes they don't.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You are referring to the store employees that are too lazy to go collect the carts, correct?

18. spiviter

spiviter Member
    from chicago

I used to have a shopping center and charged them $2 to move a cart 10 feet out of the way, they said there not gonna pay it as I had no proof of it. So one night we pushed them to the far end of the lot and plowed them in with snow. After they payed we cut a path in with the bobcat. Never left carts out again..... I felt like doing that many nights. We did put them upside down in the cart coral one night and it sat for 2 weeks like that....:)

19. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

not cool?

I wouldn't consider it the plow drivers responsibility to move shopping carts. if I were servicing a lot with carts it would be in the contract it's THEIR responsibility to remove all carts from ALL plowing areas.

I would just plow around them.

I even have an understanding with my residential clients if I'm plowing on there trash pick up day, it's THEIR responsibility to make sure the trash bin are not in any area I'd be plowing or that area won't get plowed.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've wanted to do push them up in a pile but I can't purposely destroy carts. Once you plow them in a pile they are screwed. I also thinks it looks ghetto when the piles start melting and there are a ton of carts in the pile. It looks bad on your companies image. JMO