1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lawyers will be here shortly

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fireball, Dec 2, 2009.

1. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

A federal judge has ruled a Moscow woman who was sprayed with de-icing fluid while boarding a plane at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport can sue the commuter airline Mesa Airlines and the company that de-iced the plane.

In a 15-page memorandum, U.S. District Judge James M. Munley denied an attempt to dismiss the case, which was brought by Jacqueline Vass, 44, through her attorney, Bruce Zero of Scranton.

Mrs. Vass was walking through the jetway and about to board U.S. Airways flight 2294 bound for Philadelphia when the de-icing fluid sprayed her Jan. 16, 2005, according to court papers.

Judge Munley's memorandum dropped U.S. Airways Express, U.S. Airways Inc. and U.S. Airways Group Inc. from the suit but rejected arguments to dismiss Mesa Airlines and Facility Services and Systems Inc., an Ohio-based corporation that held the contract to de-ice airplanes departing the airport.

Attorneys for U.S. Airways Express successfully argued the company should be dropped from the suit because Airways Express is "merely a trade name used to describe eight regional airlines flying under that name." Judge Munley agreed.

The suit claims she suffered "severe and permanent injuries" to her eyes and head and "severe and permanent shock to her nerves and nervous system."

Mrs. Vass was initially treated by attendants on the plane and flew to Philadelphia, where she changed planes for a flight to Orlando. In Orlando, she went to the hospital and sought more treatment.

Mr. Zero said the de-icing fluid that sprayed on Mrs. Vass has caused ongoing problems with her vision, and she also suffers from "lack of tearing" in her eyes.

The suit, which was initially filed in Luzerne County Court and later transferred to federal court, claims the defendants were careless and negligent. It seeks more than $75,000.

Contact the writer: jmcdonald@timesshamrock.com

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

how do you get blasted with deicer boarding a plane?

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

What is wrong with people. I didn't know you could really sue for that. Hell at the most they should pay for her dry cleaning or buy her some clothes and maybe a free ticket.. Unless that stuff would really give her permanent vision problems, how much of it could have really got on her or in her eye's?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, no kidding.

Any plane I've been on that has been de-iced has been fully loaded, doors shut and ready to go.

5. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

even if they are deicing while you are boarding, the gap between the plane and the causeway is minimal, doubt it would be enough to do this much damage. i agree though maybe a free ticket or something small, not $75,000

6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

At least she won't Freeze up! LOL :laughing:

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Sounds to me she got "pre-treated"....lmao

8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Couldn't have been too severe, as she still boarded her flight to Orlando.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You saying she is\was an Ice Queen? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Thats it......$75K? If she is going to sue, she might as well sue for a higher amount. If I had suffered some kind of tragedy or event that caused my nerves or sight long term damage, the sky is the limit. More likely then not she is probably blowing the whole thing out of porporsion....I wounder if they checked the second flights manifest for her lawyers name. Lawyers are the worst.

11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

She probably went for a smaller amount so she will get it.. If you sue for 2 mill and win that doesn't mean you'll get paid. they are more likely to pay her 75k to make her go away. No matter how much you win, you still have to collect it. i hope she get's nothing. It's people like her that are making the cost of everything go up.

12. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I just named all of you in a lawsuit for being ugly. Expect a letter in the mail next couple of days.

payup

13. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I think it spells a frivolous lawsuit, probably hoping they settle out of court for $50K. Keep in mind 2 million is a drop in the bucket for those guys. Beside I'm sure they have to be bonded for alot more that to even be able to operate on the airports grounds. I had to get bonded for $25K just to operate a Repossession company...sorry, "collection agency" is what the State of Maine licensed me as.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

She should still shot for $200,000 that way they settle on a hundy. From experience that stuff HURTS in your eyes

15. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

oh, I can see the stuff dripping down as I entered the aircraft. And I agree with Superior that once in the eyes it hurts like hell. I just wonder how long it will take someone to say they have been accidently sprayed or treated in a Wal-Mart Lot