1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jun 18, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Did a search on lawsuits and have been reading all the responses and I've got to tell you they kind of scare me.

I was talking to an insurance agent and he says that slip and fall lawsuits are quite common. He also quoted me about $1200/year for a $1,000,000 liability policy, good?

Would it help to put in your contract that you were not liable for any slips or falls? Would anyone even sign it? Would that really protect you? I'm sure the right lawyer could get around just about anything. I've also heard that being incorporated protects your personal property in a lawsuit but NOT your liability? So if you were the owner of the business you could also be sued personally for your liability.

One of the posts I saw said something like: When you plow snow it's not if you will get sued, it's when".

Oh well, I'm kind of re-thinking this whole business thing because of the insurance costs and the risks of being sued; I'm just not so sure anymore.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for any advice,

Joel B.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You can put it in your contracts and I do. I realize though that in todays sue happy society this may not prevent someone from taking me to court so good insurance is a must.

I must commend you Joel. You seem to be interested in starting a business but before are doing a lot of researching. This includes coming here and searching and asking the members for advice. Hope that you stay around.
  3. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Thank you for the kind words, "fireman". Starting a business is a big step and I want to make sure I've covered as many bases as I can. I don't know what I would have done without this website for information, you guys are great!

Is $1200/year for a $1,000,000 liability insurance a good price?

Thanks again,

Joel B.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You could check around, but I think that would be a good price in your area. Here it's about $1,000 for a 1M policy - snowplowing and landscaping. Depends on area mostly and your history.
  5. RB

RB Senior Member

I plow a Wendy's and someone sued them for a slip and fall accident this past winter. I submitted my logs (thank you guys on plowsite for that one) and my contract. I haven't heard anything from them yet and I don't think I will.

If you would like a copy of my contract I can email it to ya, let me know. It was prepared by an attorney and it is simple enough for anyone to understand.

A word of advice, treat every plowing/salting like it's the first of the season. I mean be as diligent at salting and plowing in March (when you sick of it and started your landscaping) as you are in December.

All the best.

6. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I was wondering if I could have a copy of your contract. I am always looking for a better way to do things. All of your help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Mark
  7. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

RB, could i have a copy of that contract too? I'm always looking for new ideas and better ways to update. thanks!!
  8. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I would greatly appecaiate a copy of that contract as well. You atleast can use salt. It not allowed here.

9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Up here a lot of the big commercial contracts state that you, the plow guy, will save them harmless from any slip and fall suits also they want to be named as a co-insured, and I now carry 5 million liability insurance ( again a requirement of one of my contracts), I can't imagine any corporation's lawyer letting them sign a contract releasing you from any responsiblity, but if you can, go for it! Luckly no one ( according to my insurance guy) has successfully sued and won over a WINTER slip and fall in Canada tied to ice/snow, but there have been, out of court settlements by insurance companies to prevent setting a legal precedent Due diligence is the big byword up here and good record keeping is the frist step in mounting a defense in case of a claim.

10. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I purchaced a 1 mil policy for the lawn/snow biz for around $360 a year.