1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Laws for lighting on a truck in Maine?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Jan 3, 2002.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

hey guys, I am new to this all, and am wondering if it is required to have lighting on your vehicle in the State of Maine? I would think it would depend on if one is plowing public roads or private roads/ driveways. Thanks very much for the help, Nick

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know if it is required for you to have amber lighting in Maine while snowplowing, but the best place to check is with your local police or DMV. Even if they do not require it, you still should have one for safety.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I haven't seen it written, but I was told last year that there is a $500 fine for being on a public area with the blade down and no warning beacon operating.

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

You need some type of amber lighting if working on or off any public road as a warning device! Some towns or city's wont give sitatations but its only smart thinking to have some type of warning devise (lights) we run Whelin 9000 edge bar lights and triple flash strobes from AW direct. Its ONLY A SMART thing to have some warning light on your plow truck!

5. lobstrmn

lobstrmn Junior Member

Actually, the true law is, if your truck is registered commercial, and you plow for money, it is your option to have an amber light. It is illegal to have the light in operation while driving on a public way, unless the truck is registered municipal. Some towns are cracking down on the fines for this, as well. I use a light while plowing, and just try to remember to hit the switch on the way out.