1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Laws and Regulations

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bcarlsno, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Bcarlsno

Bcarlsno Junior Member

Trying to see what laws are out there with regards to snow plowing, piling, and bearms and equipment requirements? Can't get anywhere with my city or state agencies. Guess because of the amount of snowfall that does occur there's nothing is really set in place. I want to make sure that when i do start with the equipment I am going above and beyond what is required. Sound crazy don't want to get nailed in a suit because a lawyer can prove that eventhough its not required by the state and a safety measure is available that I should be held accountable. ie.. beacons and back-up alarms on the trucks and heavy equipment.

2. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I think you are being a little paranoid. A guy on here called Cretebaby would know all this stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if he said you are a little paranoid too. Generally if there are no laws or regulations you would use common practices and then best effort to protect yourself in a litigation defense.

3. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

yeah he knows everything

4. Bcarlsno

Bcarlsno Junior Member

Thanks Russ,
    Maybe I am a little paranoid but I am also more safety oriented. Once one smells burning flesh on an accident that could have and should have been prevented but due to common practices wasn't. It kind of changes ones outlook. And I would rather see rules and regulations change due to change in common practices than in lawsuits. SInce the first snowfall in December I have heard of 3 people that have slipped and fell in parking lots 1 broken ankle, 1 broken leg and 1 sprained back. And personally i have been almost hit a few times by people turning and not seeing over or around piles and bearms.

5. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

This stuff happens when its sunny and seventy too. My daughter was hit by a truck in broad daylight in the summer it was around 85 that day and she was in a crosswalk. I jumped in front of the truck and banged on the hood to get the drivers attention before he ran my daughter over. She was too short for him to see so that was the only way I could see to save her and thank god it worked. If the guy ain't looking no amount of rules and regulations are going make a difference. For the record the guy that hit my daughter was checking out some women in bikinis. Common practice is to look where you are going. There are no rules or regulations saying you have to look where you are going. Accidents happen and no amount of rules or regulations are going eliminate all accidents which is what you are looking for.

6. Bcarlsno

Bcarlsno Junior Member

1st and foremost I'm glad your daughter ended up ok, as hopefully so did you. I do agree with that...you can't fix stupid. And 99% of all accidents are human error. But if you could prevent 1 out 10 accidents by lets say putting a beacon light on top of your vehicle when it wasn't required... You wouldn't do it? Or remove a pile of snow or bearm so all drivers can see around a corner where 100+ kids walk across each day....You wouldn't do it? Granted you can take it too far with safety requirements...And if you could provide your crews with more work and make more income at the same time..You wouldn't do it?

7. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I have a beacon light on my vehicle cause someone told me I had to have it, turns out its actually against the law to have it in my state. Your example of the pile of snow and berm would fall under best effort not common practice or laws or regulations. Best effort goes beyond any law or regulation and common practice. Also keep in mind laws and regs. don't tell you what you can do or how to do it they just state what you can't do generally. Common practices are common for a reason and they are generally the best way to do things.

8. Bcarlsno

Bcarlsno Junior Member

RIght current laws and regs generally tell you what you can't do, but new law and regs are determined when past practice ends up usually after its proven a current practice isn't good enough. Where I am at with Beacon lights all the city, county and state vehicles have them, the ones that have them while running around in town are vehicles that do road construction during the summer. Common practice here varies and isn't set. I believe that from what i have read on here, that most of the people on this site if they were to travel through the day after an even small storm would be saying WTF. Beacons I would use in commercial/industrial areas and in residential areas from 6am until pm.