1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lawn tractor with a plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by andycanoes2, Jan 20, 2004.

1. andycanoes2

andycanoes2 Junior Member

My folks are in the process of buying a new house with a rough driveway that is appr. 150 feet long but hilly and a level parking area that is 50' x 50'. The yard is a hilly acre and a half. My question is whether a John Deere 110 automatic will be enough. I think that the driveway will require a sturdier drive train such as on the Craftsman GT 5000. Also the GT5000 has a dozer blade that mounts mid tractor were as the 110 has only a snow blade. Also there is an 8 horsepower difference. Both are competitively price with the Craftsman being close out.

:help:

Andy

P.S. Most snow falls are about 3-6 inches a day with total storm total near 12-18 inches

2. andycanoes2

I also have to favor the GT5000 because i have one but my dad is a Deere kinda guy... I guess its an ego thing.

3. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Check this out.

anthony tractor f150 1.jpg

4. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

and this too...

anthony tractor 4.jpg

5. andycanoes2

WOW i wish my father was that nice to me!

:gunsfiring:

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

He's my only child and it took us 10 years to have him. It was a long road and yes...I spoil him rotten!

7. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

I just purchased a craftsman gt5000 and like it alot I have a 46" wide snowblower attachment coming in on friday I will let you know how it works. If we get any snow

8. mattyd

mattyd Junior Member
    from ct

Comparing john deere to craftsman is like comparing apples to oranges, not even close to the same. The blade on the john deere will probably weight more than the whole craftsman tractor!!!!!!!!!!

9. cuttingchris

cuttingchris Junior Member

i have a john deere gt 235 with a 48 inch plow it works great i was at the john deere dealer today the lt 110 is a little small atleast the gt is a heavier and more durable tractor if your getting a deere then get a gt but the lt110 is still better then a craftsman

10. andycanoes2

Thanks to everyone how has responded... The Craftsman is much heavier and has larger rear tires, I don't know if that really makes a difference though, does it?

thanks again!

11. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

What year is the 110? I have one of the originals (1964) and it is built like a tank.

12. andycanoes2

ED:

I am not sure but it is brand new so I am assuming it is a '03 or '04

:drinkup:

13. loomis

loomis Junior Member

Cutting Chris,
    You really like your 235 w/ 48 in plow. We have a gt 235 too and i was thinking of using it this winter along with a couple of 2 stages. My question though is, about how much was the plow, chains and wieghts.

14. loomis

loomis Junior Member

Cutting Chris,
    You really like your 235 w/ 48 in plow. We have a gt 235 too and i was thinking of using it this winter along with a couple of 2 stages. My question though is, about how much was the plow, chains and wieghts.